Radiation Therapist Proton Center Full Time 2nd ShiftLocation Warrenville, Illinois Business Unit Chicago Proton Center Job REQID 103398 Job Function Imaging and Radiology Shift Evening Job (2nd) Apply Now
- $10,000 Tuition Reimbursement per year ($5,700 part-time)
- $10,000 Student Loan Repayment ($5,000 part-time)
- $1,000 Professional Development per year ($500 part-time)
- $250 Wellbeing Fund per year($125 for part-time)
- Annual Employee Merit Increase and Incentive Bonus
- Paid time off and Holiday pay
Pay Starting at: $38.06 + per hour based on experience
The shift is 11:30 to 8 PM
The Radiation Therapist - Proton Center reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Radiation Therapist - Proton Center accurately delivers radiation treatments as prescribed by the Radiation Oncologist, and is responsible for continued patient assessment, patient education, accurate and current documentation to assure the delivery of quality patient care on a daily basis.
- Assists in ensuring that all patients are treated in a safe manner.
- Adheres to all departmental and radiation safety policies and procedures, ensuring the safety of patients, visitors and staff at all times.
- Ensures that assigned work area meets organization’s standards of safety and professional appearance.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with staff throughout the department.
- Maintains equipment and monitors supply levels in assigned area. Reports any problems or supply needs to appropriate person.
- Proactively identifies quality issues to be addressed and brings to the attention of the Manager and Quality Committee as appropriate.
- Actively identifies and participates in the design or development of improved practices or procedures.
- Accurately delivers the prescribed and planned course of radiation treatment to the patient, including verification of treatment and treatment dose, patient positioning and monitoring, imaging, and treatment delivery.
- Maintains complete and accurate record of treatments delivered, including appropriate documentation and billing of proton treatments and any changes or barriers encountered. Any deviation from prescribed treatment is reported and documented in accordance with department policy.
- Provides education to patients on the proton treatment delivery system and physics of proton therapy in a manner that is timely and consistent with the patient’s ability to learn.
- Assesses patients for unusual physical and/or psychological reactions to treatment or disease. Documents and refers to nurse, physician, or social worker as needed.
- Maintains daily schedule in a manner that maximizes patient satisfaction and patient flow through the department. Communicates with patients in a timely manner regarding delays.
- Recognizes need to elevate a situation and involve leadership when necessary.
- Ability to be a mentor and educator for students, new hires, and staff in the center in regards to proton therapy equipment and accessories.
- Engage with proton vendor engineers, dosimetrists, nurse, nurse navigator, child life specialist, proton physics staff, and other staff for proton planning and treatment delivery.
- Performs and records daily quality control and quality assurance processes including evaluation of machine outputs, table rotation accuracy, laser alignment, imaging panel alignment and subsystem QA such as external patient positioning systems and CBCT.
- Knowledge of proton radiobiology in order to recognize tissues changes during treatment and proton specific considerations regarding anatomy or accessories the proton beam may pass through including apertures, compensators, and range shifters.
- Knowledge of advanced imaging and treatment techniques requiring knowledge of anatomy and proton radiation therapy dose distribution and ability to evaluate images for technical quality and proper positioning.
- Assess proton beam paths, evaluating intervening densities, and identifying the need for quality assurance CT or appropriateness of delivery.
- Utilization of additional systems to aid in setup and treatment (i.e. Treatment Chairs, OID and Ocular Camera, CRad, CBCT).
- Ability to perform complex simulations protocols and treatment procedures using the proton delivery system and subsystems including: Vertical CT Simulations; Thoracic Treatment chair; Intracranial Treatment Chair; Cranio-spinal irradiation; Pediatric Radiotherapy; Sedated Pediatric Radiotherapy; Stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT); high dose radiotherapy including Quad Shot and Grid treatment; Ocular; Bariatric Setups and Treatment.
- Assist in the selection, planning, fabrication, quality review and approval of treatment devices to aid in beam delivery modification and ensure appropriate placement based on beam properties and location of target volume to ensure no attenuation of beam.
- Prepare and administer oral contrasts and perform special contrast procedures such as urethrograms.
- Assists with institutional clinical research studies with responsibilities including knowledge of protocol requirements for treatment planning CT specifications, post treatment imaging, documentation and on treatment rescan protocols.
- Other duties as assigned by Manager.
- IDNS Certification or eligibility for certification in Radiation Therapy Technology.
- ARRT Licensure or eligibility for licensure.
- Bachelor's degree in Radiological Science/Radiation Therapy or its equivalence in education, training, and experience.
- Completion of an approved course in Radiation Therapy Technology, resulting in certification or eligibility for ARRT certification in Radiation Therapy Technology.
- Certificate in Proton Therapy Technology within 1 year of employment
- Prior experience as a Radiation Therapist in a comparable clinical setting.
- Demonstrated clinical and technical competence in radiation therapy.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs