Physician Assistant ONLY - Cardiac Surgery, Part-time (20-hrs/week), DaysLocation Winfield, Illinois Business Unit Northwestern Medical Group Job REQID 73328 Job Function Physician Assistant Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
- $10,000 Tuition Reimbursement per year ($5,700 part-time)
- $6,000 Student Loan Repayment ($3,000 part-time)
- $1,000 Professional Development per year ($500 part-time)
- $250 Wellbeing Fund per year($125 for part-time)
- Annual Employee Merit Increase and Incentive Bonus
- Paid time off and Holiday pay
Northwestern Medicine has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Physician Assistant to work in our Cardiac Surgery department located at our Central DuPage Hospital. This is a combination of ~50% in patient / ~50% outpatient.
Schedule: part-time (20-hours/week) - days TBD; weekend call – call is one in 4 weekends – rounding on the floor; call one evening week per month (7PM-7AM).
The Physician Assistant reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Physician Assistant will work in collaboration with the surgeons to provide pre and post-op care to the cardiac surgery patient.
Floor duties for the PA include
- Collect laboratory data, vital signs, and any significant events on postop and preop patients
- The patient will be evaluated by the PA and a plan will be formulated
- Round with the surgeon and review the plan in the morning
- Write all pre and postop notes
- During the day the PA will follow up on any events with the patients and round with the on-call surgeon at the end of the work day
- Answer urgent phone calls from cardiac catheterization labs at CDH, Delnor, and Kishwaukee hospitals and facilitate transfers or emergent OR requests
- Must be available at all times during cardiac catheterization working hours during the week
- Complete discharges on any patient ready to leave the hospital status post surgery
- Evaluate and initiate work up for new inpatient consultations
- Admit patients from outside hospitals or directly from home for evaluation for cardiac surgery
- Answer service phone with questions/problems regarding inpatients and outpatients
Weekend rounding duties include the same duties that hold true during the week which include collecting laboratory data, vital signs, any significant events overnight, evaluating the postop or preop patient, writing a progress note, formulating a plan for the patient for the day, and reviewing that plan with the rounding physician. The PA will also complete any discharges on any patient ready to leave the hospital.
The PA will also have duties in the operating room when not assigned to rounding on patients
- First assist with all open heart cases
- Endoscopic Vein Harvesting on CABG patients
The PA will take rotating call for the OR during the week and on weekends for emergency cardiac surgery cases
- See postop patients in the outpatient clinic
- Refill medications and facilitate outpatient orders if needed
- Debride wounds if needed
- Schedule surgery for patients who have been seen in the office as new consults and are deemed surgical candidates
- Bachelor's or Master's degree from an accredited Physician Assistant Program
- Current license as a Physician Assistant in the State of Illinois
- Once licensed may apply for a controlled substance license and DEA number
- Privileged and credentialed through the NMH Medical Staff Office (MSO)
- Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation – BLS & ACLS required, issued by the American Heart Association
- Minimum of two (2) years of PA experience
- Inpatient experience
- Surgical experience
- Cardiac Surgery experience
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs