Phlebotomist - Hospital Lab, Full-time, Days (EP)Winfield, Illinois Job REQID 575 Job Function Laboratory Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
***Position is located at Central DuPage Hospital. Start times can vary between 4a-5am and end at 8am to 130pm / Alternating between IN and Out Patient. Example shifts are 4am – 8am, 4a-1230p, 5a-130p. Works every other weekend (Saturday and Sunday). Self-assigns two On Call Shifts every two pay periods***
The Phlebotomist reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Phlebotomist provides expert phlebotomy service throughout all areas of the hospital including but not limited to critical care units, surgical/oncology units, cardiac units, psychiatry units, outpatient areas, mother/baby and pediatric units and orthopedic units. In their role, phlebotomists serve as liaisons between the laboratory and patients and nursing. They must demonstrate excellent customer service and communication skills and the ability to function as part of a highly effective team that consistently puts Patients First. The phlebotomist is responsible for all centralized phlebotomy units, HealthLab client specimen collections (phlebotomy) and outpatient lab/EKG services. The phlebotomist may also provide phlebotomy support for non-centralized units and may also travel to offsite HealthLab sites for STAT collections. Other responsibilities include but are not limited to computer lab order entry in multiple systems, lab specimen receipt, patient information retrieval and lab reception/clerical duties and functions.
- Performs phlebotomy and other lab specimen collections per age related standards.
- Provides appropriate post-phlebotomy patient care.
- Identifies need for patient medical assistance and call code as appropriate.
- Reviews/Records refrigerator temperature(s) and QC/QA records.
- Areas of concern are recorded through the Corrective Action Log and reported to maintenance for repair. Findings are reported to supervisor or manager.
- Performs low complexity (waived) testing accurately and efficiently under the direction of a point of car coordinator or supervisor.
- Follows lab procedures carefully.
- Understands the operation and maintenance of equipment pertinent to the job.
- Follows up with all outstanding orders on Order Monitor, and communicates all timed, completed or uncompleted draws/charges, tasks, missing phones through shift reporting to the next shift prior to clocking out and performs other duties as assigned.
- Requests/obtains written physician orders with all required information necessary for lab services requested and accurately orders laboratory tests in computer system(s).
- Prioritizes tasks and is able to multi-task.
- Performs and collects phlebotomy specimens within cost and maintains efforts of a less than 2 percent recollection or cancellation rate.
- Follows JCAHO National Patient Safety goals in regard to two patient identifiers and handwashing.
- Presents a friendly, approachable, professional demeanor and appearance.
- Provides accurate information and timely updates to patients and customers.
- Addresses questions and concerns promptly, or identifies appropriate person or recourse to do so.
- Provides directions or help to patients and customers with finding their way.
- Uses effective service recovery skills to solve problems or service breakdowns when they occur.
- Demonstrates teamwork by helping co-workers within and across departments.
- Communicates effectively with others, respects diverse opinions and styles and acknowledges the assistance and contributions of others.
- Uses organizational and unit/department resources efficiently.
- Manages work schedule efficiently, completing tasks and assignments on time.
- Participates in efforts to reduce costs, streamline work processes and improve and grow services we provide.
- Communicates and notifies Laboratory, Patient Care Services, registration staff, and/or physician of problems with specimen procurement to ensure optimal care.
- Works additional shifts as needed and scheduled to complete workload, including on call.
- Answers phone within 3 rings.
- Accurately reports (read it back Jack) test results to appropriate individuals in a professional and courteous manner.
- Continuously updated on information by reading email and non-delinquent in MyLearning.
- Maintains a safe work environment, accountable for safe work practices, performs all aspects of daily work in a manner that contributes and ensures an environment of patient safety.
- Adheres to all recommendations and requirementsof the Lab and Hospital Safety Committee.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in a manner that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Performs clerical work; faxing, printing, filing, reviewing, and verbally releasing laboratory results.
- Initiates the meeting of responsibilities without prompting and can complete tasks independently without immediate supervision.
- Demonstrates the values of team concept on a consistent basis. Interacts with all team members in a professional manner and aids/assists coworkers to complete assigned tasks.
- Phlebotomy certification or training from aphlebotomy school or institution.
- EKG Training required within 6 months of hire
- BLS certification within 6 months of hire
- One year of experience
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Phlebotomy certification through nationally recognized organization (ASCP, NHA).
- Registered Nurse - Radiology Specialty Procedures, Full-time, Days Chicago, Illinois
- Nurse Clinician - Facial Plastics/Cosmetics, Full-time, Days Chicago, Illinois
- Clinical Nurse - Radiology Speciality Procedures, Full-time, Days Chicago, Illinois
- Radiographer-CT - Computed Tomography, Full-time, Days Chicago, Illinois
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs