Nurse Extern - Women's and Children's Float, Casual, Day ShiftLocation Winfield, Illinois Business Unit Central DuPage Hospital Job REQID 9613 Job Function Intern Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Nurse Extern reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital's Nurse Externship Program allows nursing students the opportunity to gain experience in a variety of nursing work environments.
The Nurse Extern assists in the delivery of both direct and indirect nursing care as a Patient Care Technician (PCT) under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse within the scope of practice of unlicensed, assistive personnel and performs tasks for patients’ activities of daily living to promote comfort and safety, assists RN’s with the collection of patient data, and performs selected procedure including but not limited to:
- Obtains vital signs, intake and output, blood glucose monitoring, and documents per unit protocol.
- Assists patients with activities of daily living
- Assists in meeting patient's activity needs.
- Obtains laboratory specimens as directed.
- Assists/performs post-mortem care. Provides emotional support patients and assists with monitoring recovery from any procedures.
- Provides support to other patient care team members by assisting with patient care, associated tasks, and clerical functions.
- Communicates effectively with all members of the health care team.
- Maintains complete patient confidentiality
- An ability to interact positively with people of all ages and backgrounds, ranging from patients and their parents, hospital staff across all levels, volunteers or members of the general public
- An ability to communicate effectively verbal and written
- Good organizational abilities with a strong attention to detail
- A knowledge of the skills important to customer service and the willingness to learn and develop further knowledge and skills in these areas
- Uses various tools and techniques to communicate patient care information and enhance interpersonal skills with patients, families, and healthcare team members
- Documents in the medical record consistent with guidelines and facility standards
- Communicates pertinent clinical data and relevant changes in patient status to RN or other appropriate healthcare team members
- Quality and Safety:
- Attends shift huddles and in services, as appropriate
- Demonstrates safe and proper use of equipment
- Uses personal protective equipment and complies with all universal precautions and blood borne pathogens regulations
- Identifies and immediately reports any actual or potential hazard observed in the hospital environment.
- Demonstrates knowledge of all safety and emergency codes
- Performs purposeful hourly rounding.
- Dresses professionally and wears name badge at all times.
- Performs patient engagement strategies per toolkit before any patient and family interactions.
- Other duties as assigned
- Nursing students from an accredited nursing school that includes minimally the successful completion of Fundamentals of Nursing Clinical with clinical rotation. Must provide written documentation of successful completion OR successful completion of an accredited Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) program.
- Qualified candidates must have a valid American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Healthcare certification.
- Reliable, flexible, and punctual with schedules.
- Successful completion of an accredited CNA program and listed on Illinois State CNA registry.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
- Clinical Quality Documentation Specialist, Full-time, Days Chicago, Illinois
- Quality Utilization Specialist, Full-time, Days Chicago, Illinois
- Social Worker (Transitional Care), Full Time Days Lake Forest, Illinois
- Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist, Full-time, Days Lake Forest, Illinois
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs