Clinical Shift Coordinator - CDH Cardiac Intermediate, Weekender option Full-time, DaysLocation Winfield, Illinois Business Unit Central DuPage Hospital Job REQID 32026 Job Function Nursing Coordinator Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
This position has a weekender option avaiable.The Clinical Shift Coordinator RN reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Clinical Shift Coordinator RN is a clinically competent, registered, professional nurse who prescribes, delegates and coordinates nursing care to the hospitalized patient through the nursing process of assessment, planning, intervention, implementation and evaluation. This role effectively interacts with the patient, significant others, and other health team members, while maintaining ANA standards of professional nursing practice. This nurse functions in a leadership, overseeing daily unit operations, staff, and care delivery, utilizing a staff-focused leadership model.
- Presents a friendly, approachable, professional demeanor and appearance.
- Provides accurate information and timely updates to patients and customers. Addresses questions and concerns promptly, or identifies appropriate person and resources to do so. Provides directions or help to patients and customers with finding their way.
- Uses effective service recovery skills to solve problems or service breakdowns when they occur.
- Demonstrates teamwork by helping co-workers within and across departments. Communicates effectively with others, respects diverse opinions and styles, acknowledges the assistance and contributions of others.
- Uses organizational and unit/department resources efficiently.
- Manages work schedule efficiently, completing tasks and assignments on time.
- Contributes to opportunities and processes for continuous improvement.
- Participates in efforts to reduce costs, streamline work processes, improve and grow services we provide.
- Demonstrates proficiency as a staff nurse and serves as a role model and resource to staff.
- Maintains awareness of unstable, complex or high-risk patient conditions throughout the shift.
- Ensures appropriate assignment of care based on staff competency and patient acuity.
- Coordinates and monitors patient care to ensure patient safety.
- Collects, analyzes and organizes patient care data for the unit.
- Oversees that staff are in compliance with regulatory standards.
- Ensures adaptation of services as needed to reflect age, culture, gender, race, nationality, religion, etc.
- Oversees documentation of key critical elements for patient care and national patient safety goals (restraints, verbal orders, abbreviations, etc.)
- Ensures initial admit orders are received by end of shift.
- Demonstrates knowledge of staffing requirements for unit and ensures compliance with staffing matrix each shift. Consults with manager when
- variances are anticipated.
- Oversees accurate completion of daily charges to ensure unit receives all appropriate revenue.
- Contributes to cost reduction and supports interventions that promote unit cost effectiveness (LOS, HPPD, OT, flexible staffing, and use of alternative skill mixes.)
- Oversees staff scheduling per unit and PCS guidelines.
- Documents appropriate staffing information and justifications in Optilink each shift.
- Checks staff timekeeping on shifts worked and oversees compliance with time and attendance policies.
- Oversees documentation of occurrences on shift and reports to Nursing leadership and risk management as appropriate.
- Ensures compliance with patient life safety standards including fire safety, handwashing, crash cart checks, etc.
- Oversees accurate accounting of unit equipment.
- Demonstrates effective oral, written, and listening skills with staff, physicians, patients and families.
- Keeps all appropriate parties informed a timely manner and understands "chain of command" accountability.
- Completes leader rounding on assigned staff routinely and consistently.
- Provides input to and may assist with organization of staff meetings. Conducts staff huddles on shift.
- Collaborates with educator and manager to ensure appropriate and complete orientation of new staff. Identifies appropriate preceptor and assigns schedule to new staff.
- Participates in unit and PCS based teams, work groups and/or committees or shared governance councils. Demonstrates willingness to give 100% and voluntarily assists others.
- Keeps staff on shift informed of unit initiatives and incorporates outcomes of the team/committees work into practice.
- Ensures all RN's, PC's perform as a team in order to complete work on time and take uninterrupted meal breaks.
- Coordinates patient placement with Clinical Placement Nurse in a timely manner and with a positive and flexible attitude.
- Displays and is responsible for "welcoming spirit" for unit by integrating students and resource team.
- Develops open, functional working relationships with other units/physicians by understanding complexities of different stakeholders; has a house wide perspective.
- Promotes an atmosphere of collective accountability for the Unit/Department.
- Performs weekend leadership rounding on all patients and assists Clinical Manager during week as needed.
- Contributes to annual employee performance evaluation and is present when evaluation is given.
- Conducts formal staff rounding with assigned group of staff on a consistent basis at frequency identified by Manager. Follow up with all new employees on shift as identified by Manager.
- Contributes to completion of minor disciplinary action; may cover this independently with staff member under the approval of Clinical Manager. Provides feedback to Manager for development plans that are needed for staff they lead.
- Demonstrates ability to coach staff effectively using leadership skills.
- Participates in interview process for candidates seeking position on his/her shift.
- Uses retention strategies to recognize and reward staff on shift.
- Serves as Qualified Observer to ensure completion of annual competencies of staff on his/her shift.
- Participates in quality improvement initiatives for unit and as appropriate for PCS. Displays knowledge of PI process.
- Supports staff to incorporate EBP/research findings into practice at the bedside.
- Oversees environment of care and regulatory readiness with all regulatory bodies.
- Is a shift leader and is accountable for hardwiring evidence based and unit specific tactics for patient satisfaction (Hourly Rounding, bedside shift report, discharge calls, and AIDET.)
- Monitors for improvement of chart audit findings at employee level and provides follow-up.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- 3 years of RN experience
- Graduate of an accredited school of Nursing, with BSN.
- Licensed RN in the State of Illinois
- Telemetry competency
- Specialty certification such as CV-RN, CHFN, CCRN, PCCN, CNML, NE-BC, etc. required within 2 years
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Consistently works within the framework of the Illinois Practice Act for Nursing and ANA Standards of Professional Nursing Practice.
- Ability to assess and determine situations requiring an interpreter and to use interpreter services effectively.
- 2 or more years in pertinent clinical specialty
- Cert NRN
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
- Telemetry Monitor Technician- Central Telemetry, Full time, Day Shift Chicago, Illinois
- Telemetry Monitor Technician -Central Telemetry, Full time, Day Chicago, Illinois
- Telemetry Monitor Technician-Central Telemetry, Full time, Nights Chicago, Illinois
- Telemetry Monitor Technician- Central Telemetry- Full time, Day shift Chicago, Illinois
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs