Medicare Hospital, Financial Patient Accounting - Billing & Collections | Full-Time, DaysLocation Saint Charles, Illinois Business Unit Northwestern Medicine Corporate Job REQID 6883 Job Function Patient Accounting Support Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Financial Assessor - Patient Accounting reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Consistently meet the current productivity and quality standards in timely resolution of all claim edits, reporting of candidates for bill, outbound compliant claim submission, clinical documentation requirements and any other communication required (verbal or written) regarding claims ensuring timely filing of claims and clean, complete and accurate claims.
- Consistently meet or exceed productivity standards, targets, error ratios, and reporting requirements as assigned by the Patient Accounting Lead Financial Assessor and Operations Coordinator.
- Timely follow-up and collection of third party payer receivables.
- Denials and Appeals follow-up including root cause analysis to reduce/prevent future denials while working to overturn denials for payment resolution.
- Compliant follow-up correspondence to third party payers regarding outstanding accounts receivables (i.e. Statements, letters, e-mails, faxes, portal mail, etc.).
- Support the operations related to optimum third party accounts receivables (i.e. Managed Care, Commercial, Medicare, Medicaid, Replacement plans, Workers Compensations, Corporate Accounts, Research, and Specialty AR Accounts).
- Perform daily, systematic reviews of work lists to ensure all accounts already to be worked are completed.
- Utilize Government, Commercial, and regulatory guidelines for collection of outstanding accounts.
- Recommend accounts for contractual or administrative write-off and provide appropriate justification and documentation.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service through oral and written communication in providing assistance/expertise to patients, authorized guarantors, and other external and internal contacts.
- Practice HIPAA privacy standards and ensure compliance with patient health information privacy practices.
- Provide individual contribution to the overall team effort of achieving the department accounts receivable goals.
- Identify opportunities for customer, system and process improvement and submit to management.
- Demonstrate proficient use of systems and execution of processes in all areas of responsibilities.
- Follow the NMHC general Policy and Procedures, the Departmental Policy and Procedures, and any Emergency Preparedness Procedures.
- Follow JCAHO and outside regulatory agencies mandated rules and procedures.
- Utilize assigned menus and pathways in the hospital mainframe system and report software application problems to the appropriate supervisor.
- Utilize assigned menus and pathways in external software applications and report software application problems to the appropriate supervisor.
- Utilize assigned computer hardware and report hardware problems to the appropriate supervisor.
- Participate in the testing for assigned software applications, including verification of field integrity.
- Assist the Patient Accounting Operational Coordinator and Patient Accounting Team Lead Financial Assessor with special projects and other duties as assigned, as necessary.
- Attend training and seminars as assigned and approved by the Patient Accounting Operations Coordinator.
- High School Diploma.
- 1 year of related work experience or college degree.
- Working knowledge of physician and facility billing and follow-up including understanding of insurance rules and regulations especially Medicare and Medicaid.
- Knowledge of HIPAA standards.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Excellent communication skills when dealing with patients, families, public, co-workers, and professional offices.
- Basic knowledge of medical terminology and billing practices.
- Extensive experience and knowledge of PC applications, including Microsoft Office and Excel.
- Ability to:
- Learn quickly and meet continuous timelines.
- Exhibit behaviors consistent with principles of excellent service.
- Demonstrate and maintain competency as required for job title and the unit/area(s) of assignment.
- Exhibit behaviors consistent with standards of performance improvement and NMHC values.
- 2+ years college or college degree.
- Call center, telephone work experience or cash collections experience.
- Knowledge of Epic Systems.
- Two (2) years of progressive work experience in a hospital/ physician billing or SBO environment.
- Detail-oriented, good organizational skills, and ability to be self-directed.
- Strong time management skills, managing multiple priorities and a heavy workload in a high-stress atmosphere.
- Flexibility to perform other tasks as needed in an active work environment with changing work needs.
- High-level of problem solving, analytical, and investigative skills.
- Excellent internal/external customer service skills.
- Excellent communication skills to include oral and written comprehension and expression.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
- Patient Access Specialist - Registration, Part-time, NIghts Winfield, Illinois
- Patient Access Concierge - Guest Services, Part-time, Evenings Winfield, Illinois
- CT Scan Technologist, IHR - Delnor CT Scanning, As Needed, Days Geneva, Illinois
- Registered Staff Nurse, Inpatient - Delnor Med/Surgical, Full Time, Nights - $3,000 Sign on Bonus Geneva, Illinois
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs