Manager of Patient Care-Full-Time, DaysLocation Palos Heights, Illinois Business Unit Palos Hospital Job REQID 79923 Job Function Management-Nursing Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
- $10,000 Tuition Reimbursement per year ($5,700 part-time)
- $6,000 Student Loan Repayment ($3,000 part-time)
- $1,000 Professional Development per year ($500 part-time)
- $250 Wellbeing Fund per year($125 for part-time)
- Annual Employee Merit Increase and Incentive Bonus
- Paid time off and Holiday pay
The Manager, Patient Care position reflects the mission, vision, and values of Northwestern Medicine, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
Nurse Managers coordinate activities between defined areas and provide clinical and administrative leadership and expertise. They facilitate an atmosphere of interactive management and the development of collegial relationships among nursing personnel and others. They serve as a link between nursing personnel and other health care disciplines throughout the organization.
Nurse Managers have major responsibility for the implementation of the vision, mission, plans and standards of the organization and nursing services within their defined areas of responsibility.
- Helps all employees make the connection between NM values, their daily work and patient and customer satisfaction. Holds staff accountable for modeling service standards and behaviors.
- Sets clear expectations for continuous quality and service improvement. Uses internal and external benchmark data and best practices to establish specific targets, timelines and metrics for improvement projects.
- Encourages those who identify problems, potential solutions and opportunities for improvement. Supports and empowers staff in piloting new ideas and solutions.
- Creates an environment of partnership, collaboration, seamless quality and service enhancement across teams, departments and divisions of the organization.
- Stays informed of current and emerging issues and trends for areas of accountability, NM organization and healthcare industry. Communicates and educates staff on requirements, changes, advances, opportunities, directions and projections for the future.
- Thinks and acts in ways that support NM strategy, vision and plans. Identifies opportunities for new business growth and development, expansion of current services, etc.
- Practices fiscal accountability. Encourages staff and team accountability by involving them in budget preparation, identifying ideas for increasing efficiency, cost savings, developing and growing the business and existing services.
- Measures and monitors budget and business development plans; provides ongoing updates to staff.
- Achieves or exceeds budget and business growth and profitability targets.
- Makes effective hiring decisions; completes the orientation process for new employees.
- Identifies staff's individual skills and interests; provides timely, positive, constructive feedback; addresses performance gaps as they occur with clear action plans and timelines for improvement.
- Supports ongoing learning and skill development for self and staff; provides coaching and mentoring; assigns stretch goals, cross-training and other opportunities for career development within NM.
- Involves staff in planning and decision-making as appropriate. Holds staff accountable for follow-through and results.
- Facilitates change readiness and agility among staff and teams.
- Uses timely, effective communication methods to update staff on departmental and organizational priorities and progress.
- Creates a culture of respectful communication by listening, demonstrating approachability, practicing meeting, voicemail and e-mail courtesy.
- Asks for staff input; encourages diverse perspectives and solutions, drawing from staff, peers, physicians, patients and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrates ability to communicate effectively across departments and sectors of organization; within all levels of management; with patients, visitors, other customers, etc.
- Acknowledges and celebrates individual and team contributions
- Maintains clinical knowledge and expertise to adequately supervise and assess staff competence.
- In support of achieving patient care excellence, directs and supervises patient care within the department.
- Anticipates impending emergent situations and intervenes effectively.
- Demonstrates practice planning abilities to address and prevent potential problems.
- Refers to unit-based shared governance councils for assessment and identification of quality improvement opportunities and action
- Coordinates the scheduling and staffing of the department including the authorization and approval of vacation schedules, education time, schedule changes and use of overtime. Creatively manages staffing resources to maintain HPPD.
- Facilitates RN-MD collaboration.
- Monitors use of hand-off reports/expectations and provides coaching/mentoring, as appropriate.
- Effectively mediates disputes among employees and offers viable solutions to problems.
- Participates in coordinating new staff orientation in partnership with Professional Development.
- Implements a retention plan that maintains low unit turnover
- Utilizes nursing process (assessment, diagnosis, planning 7 evaluating) to support the practice of nursing and the delivery of care.
- Performance Appraisal: Evaluates her/his own performance based on professional practice standards, relevant statutes and regulations, and organizational criteria.
- Education: Acquires and maintains current knowledge in administrative practice.
- Collegiality: Fosters a professional environment.
- Ethics: Decisions and actions are based on ethical principles.
- Collaboration: Collaborates with nursing staff at all levels, interdisciplinary teams, executive officers and other stakeholders.
- Research: Supports research and integrates it into the delivery of nursing care and nursing administration.
- Resource Utilization: Evaluates and administers the resources of organized nursing services within their areas of responsibility.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- 2-4 years of relevant experience
- Graduate from an accredited school of Nursing. Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
- Specialty Certification within one year of hire
- Cert BLS
- Licensed RN
- Masters Degree or current enrollment
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Nursing CareersSearch Now
Check out our benefitsRead More
Information Services CareersRead More