Ambulatory Surgery Staff RN- Palos Health Surgery Center, Full-time, Days ($2,000 Sign-on Bonus Eligible)Location Orland Park, Illinois Business Unit Palos Health Surgery Center Job REQID 59906 Job Function Clinical Nurse Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
View this video to learn more from the heroes that work at Northwestern Medicine.
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Ambulatory Surgery Staff RN PHSC reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Ambulatory Surgery Staff RN PHSC is a clinically competent, computer literate, registered, professional nurse who interviews surgical patients in person and via the phone, prescribes, delegates and coordinates nursing care to the acutely ill patient through the nursing process of assessment, planning, intervention, implementation and evaluation. THis role effectively interacts with patient, significant others, and other health team members, while maintaining ANA standards of professional nursing practice.
- Interviews surgical patients, coordinates patient care, and clears charts for surgery
- Requires strong clinical knowledge and ability to develop patient care plan in preparation for surgery
- Nursing process: Assessment, Nursing Diagnosis, Planning, Implementation, and Evaluation
- Perform all aspects of patient care in a manner which optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical or health care errors incorporating National Patient Safety Goals
- Works collaboratively with Anesthesia to clear patients for surgery
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with a wide range of people, including, but not limited to patients, families, physicians, ancillary support services, office staff, and nursing units
- Persistence and follow-up work needed
- Ability to solve problems effectively yet is tactful and non-confrontational
- Uses the results of quality improvement activities to initiate changes in nursing practice and in the healthcare delivery system
- Reviews pre-op instructions on all patients scheduled for next day surgery and obtains necessary documentation and supplies as documented and observed.
- Provides patient comfort and safety using appropriate equipment and/or medication as documented and reported through patient surveys.
- Maintains records and log books as required in policy and by regulation as evidenced by documentation.
- Assigns pre-operative arrival times and notifies patient at least 1 day in advance of the surgery as documented.
- Checks pre-op charts for completion and obtains appropriate paperwork to complete chart as documented.
- Associate's degree or Diploma in Nursing
- Basic Life Support Certification
- PALS and ACLS within 6 months of hire date
- Current State of Illinois Registered Professional Nurse Licensure
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Strong communication skills, verbally and in writing
- Experience with electronic medical record (EMR)
- Advanced computer skills
- Familiar with medical terminology and knowledge of basic surgical procedures
- Effective time management and ability to work independently
- Ability to organize and prioritize, and problem solve
- Strong critical thinking skills and decisive judgement
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action
- Prior Epic experience
- Triage, critical care, ED, or surgical patient experience
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs