Phlebotomist-McHenry Hospital Full-time EveningsLocation McHenry, Illinois Business Unit McHenry Hospital Job REQID 83893 Job Function Laboratory Shift Evening Job (2nd) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
- $10,000 Tuition Reimbursement per year ($5,700 part-time)
- $6,000 Student Loan Repayment ($3,000 part-time)
- $1,000 Professional Development per year ($500 part-time)
- $250 Wellbeing Fund per year($125 for part-time)
- Annual Employee Merit Increase and Incentive Bonus
- Paid time off and Holiday pay
Pay: Based on experience, starting at: $16.51 + per hour.
The Phlebotomist reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Phlebotomist provides expert phlebotomy services and must demonstrate excellent customer service and communication skills. The phlebotomist must have the ability to function as part of a highly effective team that consistently puts “Patients First”. The phlebotomist is responsible for venipuncture collection and specimen processing. Other responsibilities include but are not limited to order entry in multiple systems, verification of test result receipt, patient information retrieval and lab reception/clerical duties and functions.
- Performs phlebotomy and other lab specimen collections per age related standards. Provides appropriate post-phlebotomy patient care. Identifies need for patient medical assistance and call codes as appropriate.
- Reviews/Records refrigerator temperature(s) and QC/QA records. Areas of concern are recorded through the Corrective Action Log and reported to maintenance for repair. Findings are reported to supervisor or manager.
- Use manual requisitions and labels specimens appropriately.
- Label and process specimens according to established protocols and policies.
- Must effectively procure blood specimens from infant, adult, geriatric, and wheelchair bound patients. Must demonstrate competency for age related responsibilities.
- Understands the operation and maintenance of equipment pertinent to the job. Follows up with all outstanding orders on manifest log, and communicates all timed, completed or uncompleted draws/charges/results to the client office staff and performs other duties as assigned.
- Requests/obtains written physician orders with all required information necessary for lab services requested and accurately orders laboratory tests in computer system(s).
- Prioritizes tasks and is able to multi-task.
- Performs and collects phlebotomy specimens within cost and maintains efforts of a less than 2 percent recollection or cancellation rate.
- Follows TJC National Patient Safety goals in regard to two patient identifiers and handwashing.
- Presents a friendly, approachable, professional demeanor and appearance.
- Provides accurate information and timely updates to patients and customers. Addresses questions and concerns promptly, or identifies appropriate person or recourse to do so.
- Demonstrates teamwork by helping co-workers within and across departments. Communicates effectively with others, respects diverse opinions and styles and acknowledges the assistance and contributions of others.
- Uses organizational and unit/department resources efficiently.
- Manages work schedule efficiently, completing tasks and assignments on time.
- Participates in efforts to reduce costs and streamline work processes.
- Communicates and notifies Laboratory and/or Physician of problems with specimen procurement to ensure optimal care.
- Provides follow up on test results to appropriate individuals in a professional and courteous manner.
- Continuously updated on information by reading emails daily.
- Maintains compliance in MediaLab by signing off on documentation within 14 days (30 days for new hires) of release and competency assessments before their due date.
- Maintains a safe work environment, holds self-accountable for safe work practices, performs all aspects of daily work in a manner that contributes and ensures an environment of patient safety. Adheres to all recommendations and requirements of the Lab and Hospital Safety Committee.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in a manner that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Performs clerical work; faxing, printing, filing, reviewing, and verbally releasing laboratory results.
- Initiates the meeting of responsibilities without prompting and can complete tasks independently without immediate supervision.
- Demonstrates the values of team concept on a consistent basis. Interacts with all team members in a professional manner and aids/assists coworkers to complete assigned tasks.
- Responsible to remain at account until all specimens are processed and each patient is drawn.
- Processes specimens in a timely manner to ensure stability and integrity of samples.
- Properly packages specimens for transport by courier.
- Follows biohazard waste procedures and ensures proper storage and timely pickup of biohazardous waste.
- Orders supplies in a timely manner to ensure they are on hand when needed but does not over request and cause supplies to expire before use.
- Coordinates with supervisor and scheduler to ensure fair rotation of weekend duties, holidays and PTO requests.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Phlebotomy certification through a nationally recognized organization or training from a phlebotomy school or medical institution or one or more years of phlebotomy experience in a healthcare setting.
- Experience performing phlebotomy on a broad range of patient types.
- Experience with processing lab specimens, transferring specimens, and handling a centrifuge.
- Familiar with medical EMR systems.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Nursing CareersSearch Now
Check out our benefitsRead More
Information Services CareersRead More