Nurse Extern - Surgery-McHenry/Huntley-Casual/Summer, RotatingLocation McHenry, Illinois Business Unit McHenry Hospital Job REQID 8908 Job Function Intern Shift Rotating Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Nurse Extern/PCTreflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
This position performs a variety of clinical/patient care related functions, under the direction of the clinical RN or physician that provide support to patients and staff, including but not limited to the following:
- Aides team members with patient positioning and comfort activities.
- Assists anesthesiologist with blood draws and inductions.
- Ensures that carts are set up each morning for all of the operating suites.
- Organizes instruments and supplies based on the needs of the patient.
- Maintains equipment, reports malfunctions and contacts repair service as needed.
- Cleans and sterilizes reusable equipment.
- Maintains inventory of stock supplies; anticipates department needs and orders supplies accordingly.
- Administers simple oxygen masks or nasal cannulas.
- Assist surgical team during procedures which require the ability to stand for periods greater than 6 hours.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of aseptic technique and the ability to take corrective action for themselves and other team members when there is a break in technique.
- Demonstrate the ability to provide complete, accurate communication to all members of the surgical team.
- Prepares and maintains sterile field throughout the surgical procedure.
- Stocks room with supplies and equipment
- Identifies correct patient.
- Transports patients to and from the operating room.
- Transports specimens to lab and radiology.
- Assists with lifting, transferring, holding and positioning of patients in the operating room.
- Stocks and cleans operating suites before and after each procedure.
- Performs routine cleaning and disinfection of equipment and rooms when needed.
- Maintains and moves all equipment and supplies to designated areas in surgery.
- Restocks operating rooms daily and as needed.
- Maintains inventory of supplies for operating suites and support areas in unit.
- Distributes and retrieves patient supplies.
- Perform patient care technician functions per scope of training
Additional responsibilities under the supervision of a registered nurse:
- Insert Foley catheters with 1:1 RN supervision through entire procedure
- Perform nursing care interventions under the direct supervision of the RN throughout the entire procedure
- High School Diploma.
- Successful completion minimally of Fundamentals of Nursing with 2 semesters of clinical rotations. Must provide written verification of successful completion of said rotations OR successful completion of an accredited CNA program and listed on Illinois State CNA Registry.
- BLS through American Heart Association.
- Successful completion of an accredited CNA program and listed on Illinois State CNA Registry.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
- Case Manager RN/Woodstock-Full-time, Day Woodstock, Illinois
- Staff Nurse-Medical Surgical/Onconolgy-McHenry-Full-time, Nights McHenry, Illinois
- Staff Nurse-Emergency/Huntley-Full-time, Night Huntley, Illinois
- Medical Assistant- Allergy and ENT- Full-time- Days Winfield, Illinois
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs