Pharmacist -Pharmacy, Full-Time, RotatingLocation Huntley, Illinois Business Unit Northwestern Memorial Hospital Job REQID 24197 Job Function Pharmacy Shift Rotating Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
Hourly position, 40 hours a week, Rotating shift coverage includes day shift: 630am-3pm/7am-330pm; Evening shift: 12pm-830pm, 230pm-11pm.
The Pharmacist PNE reflects the mission, vision, and values of NMHC, adheres to the organizations Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Provides pharmaceutical care, including clinical services for patients.
- Provides drug information to patients, hospital staff, and physicians. Identifies, recommends, resolves and prevents medication related problems through the intervention with physicians.
- Supervises and directs pharmacy support personnel to ensure the timeliness of medication availability.
Professional and Technical:
- Interprets and verifies physician medication orders and accurately enters them into the pharmacy information system (Meditech).
- Oversees the preparation, labeling and dispensing of medication, including unit dose drug distribution, IV admixture preparation, medication replenishment of unit based cabinet, medication cart exchange and controlled substances.
- Checks the pharmacy technician and other staff work for accuracy, including, but not limited to medications/IVs prepared for new orders prior to dispensing, medications prepared for the replenishment of the unit based cabinet inventory, medication trays prepared for the replenishment of the Code Blue Crash Cart.
- Oversees the daily workflow, organizes, prioritizes work and directs technicians to ensure pharmacy services are provided in a timely manner.
- Generates reports, labels, fill lists, charges and credits as needed. Prepares IV Admixtures, including large volume IVs, IVPBs, TPNs, syringes, and phenol injections as needed.
- Orders medications and supplies, using wholesalers computer for orders from drug wholesaler as needed.
- Implements pharmacy security procedures.
- Uses knowledge of age-specific normal and pathological processes to provide pharmaceutical care to pediatric patient (0-15 years), adult patients (16-64 years), and geriatric patients (65+ years).
- Evaluates medication orders based on review and interpretation of available information for contraindications, therapeutic duplication, drug drug interactions, drug food interactions, allergies, appropriateness of drug/dose, renal dosing adjustment and IV compatibility.
- Provides drug information to patients, physicians, and hospital staff. Advises of precautions and potential problems, and assists in solving drug-related issues, including documentation of the intervention.
- Documents all clinical activities, pharmacist interventions and other required documentation, i.e. verbal orders from physicians, pharmacist interventions, therapeutic substitution.
- Participates in the pharmacokinetic consult dosing service per hospital protocol.
- Ensures patient allergies are documented and verified against each medication ordered.
- Monitors patient laboratory indices and makes appropriate dosing recommendations as necessary.
- Participates in formulary management by recommending formulary alternatives for non-formulary medication orders, utilizes therapeutic substitution protocols, promotes rationale medication therapy selection and cost-effective medication therapy.
- Provides medication information as requested by the patient/family, hospital staff and physicians utilizing resources available (e.g. pharmacy references, Meditech system, Library, physicians, and outside resources, if needed).
- Detects, assesses and reports suspected adverse drug reactions.
WORKFLOW AND QUALITY
- Participates in the orientation and training of new department associates.
- Responds to customer requests in a timely manner. Answers the telephone according to the hospital standards.
- Participates in the performance improvement and medication use review activities of the department. Collects data and maintains records as required.
- Reports medication errors identified, and completes Medication Occurrence Report.
- Is punctual and reports to work as scheduled.
- Assumes the role of pharmacist-in-charge when pharmacy supervisor is not in the department.
- Assists Pharmacy supervisor with special projects, as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND COMPETENCE
- Maintains current State of Illinois Registered Pharmacist licensure.
- Completes the annual mandatory hospital competency within the expected timeframe.
- Completes the annual mandatory department competency, recurring skills competency, and job specific competencies within the expected timeframe.
- Attends department meetings and/or reviews department meeting minutes.
- Bachelors Degree from an accredited college of pharmacy; PharmD is preferred.
- Current State of Illinois Pharmacist license
- Familiar with current clinical and therapeutic literature.
- Knowledge of dosing of medications to pediatric, adult, geriatric, and renally impaired patients
- Familiar with the computer medication order entry process.
- Adaptable to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize work to complete urgent tasks.
- Good analytic skills to make rational decisions about patient care.
- Ability to prioritize and direct workflow.
- Ability to perform work accurately with attention to detail within specified time periods.
- Ability to work rotating shifts and weekends.
- Schedule flexibility to meet the needs of the organization.
- Adapt to changes in workload and/or work schedule.
- Ability to effectively communicate with various levels of hospital staff.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Maintenance of a professional appearance.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
- Registered Nurse- PH Perinatal, Casual, Nights Palos Heights, Illinois
- Registered Nurse - PH Oncology -Sg4 North - Part-Time, Days - Sign On-Bonus Eligible Palos Heights, Illinois
- Registered Nurse - PH Med Surg Hp3, Full-Time Days - Sign On Bonus Eligible Palos Heights, Illinois
- Registered Nurse - PH Med Surg Hp3, Full-Time, Days, - Sign On Bonus Eligible Palos Heights, Illinois
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs