Medical Technologist, Laboratory, Part-Time, EveningsLocation Huntley, Illinois Business Unit Huntley Hospital Job REQID 36038 Job Function Laboratory Shift Evening Job (2nd) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
Scheduling needs: 130pm-10pm/2pm-1030pm, every other weekend
The Medical Laboratory Technicianreflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) is responsible for the performance of laboratory testing and quality control that require the exercise of independent judgement and responsibility. This includes the performance of tests defined under CLIA'88 as high complexity tests. The MLT is to be knowledgeable in the technical area(s) to which they are assigned and is expected to resolve technical equipment and procedural problems to completion. The MLT may be required to work in more than one area of the Clinical Laboratory if so requested by their manager/supervisor.
- Demonstrates our NM values of Patients First, Integrity, Teamwork, and Excellence.
- Presents a friendly, approachable, professional demeanor and appearance.
- Provides accurate information and timely updates to patients and customers.
- Addresses questions and concerns promptly, or identifies appropriate person and resources to do so.
- Provides direction or help to patients and customers with finding their way.
- Uses effective service recovery skills to solve problems or service breakdowns when they occur.
- Demonstrates teamwork by helping co-workers within and across departments.
- Communicates effectively with others, respects diverse opinions and styles, and acknowledges the assistance and contribution of others.
- Efficiency and Business Growth:
- Uses organizational and unit/department resources efficiently.
- Manages work schedule efficiently, completing tasks and assignments on time.
- Contributes to opportunities and processes for continuous improvement.
- Participates in efforts to reduce cost, streamline work processes, improve and grow services we provide.
- Role Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
- Performs moderate and (if applicable) high complexity testing accurately and efficiently.
- Follows lab procedures carefully.
- Follows laboratory procedures for specimen handling and processing.
- Understands the theory behind all testing and is able to troubleshoot utilizing the knowledge of that theory.
- Is capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results.
- Accurately assesses problems utilizing problem solving skills.
- Performs instrument checks, maintenance and troubleshooting per department protocol and understands the operation and maintenance of equipment pertinent to job.
- Performs system quality assurance assays, collages and evaluates results for approval.
- Demonstrates knowledge of abnormal and/or unusual test results and makes appropriate decisions about releasing the results.
- Is able to correct a problem or immediately notify a supervisor when appropriate.
- Maintains a safe work environment by using required personal protective equipment and/or devices (PPE).
- Handles biohazard materials and/or chemicals according to established protocols.
- Maintains proficiency in laboratory bench work.
- Prioritizes tasks and is able to multi-task.
- Communication and Collaboration:
- Participates in teaching of students and other health professionals as required.
- Works additional shifts as needed and scheduled to complete workload.
- Takes an active role in maintaining inventory at acceptable levels.
- Adheres to department specific Service Excellence scripts and protocols.
- Demonstrates ability to manage stress and personal morale.
- Able to maintain a positive attitude toward change.
- Administration and Documentation:
- Provides accurate computer and non-computer entries and documentation.
- Actively participates in quality control per established protocol.
- Records these checks appropriately and takes corrective action as indicated.
- Performs all aspects of daily work in a manner that contributes to and ensures an environment of patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Participates in CE programs, in-services, lab meetings, and various committees (i.e. Safety Committee, QI Committee).
- Completes the continuing education requirement of a minimum of 12 hours per year for certified employees (full time and part time).
- Reviews QC/QA records to assure completeness and to identify areas of concern.
- Reports findings to supervisor or manager.
- Participates in Continuing Education programs, in-services and lab meetings.
- Assumes a supervisory role in appropriate situations.
- Demonstrates the values of team concept on a consistent basis.
- Interacts with all team members in a professional manner.
- Initiates the meeting of responsibilities without prompting.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate's degree requirement: Upon hire must provide hard copy of diploma and/or transcripts of an Associate's degree in Medical Technology, Medical Laboratory Technician, Clinical Laboratory Science, Chemistry, Biology, or Allied Health qualifying the applicant to take the national ASCP certifying exam. Must provide proof of Education as stated in the CLIA guidelines.
- Certification Requirement: Must obtain Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) (ASCP) or Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) (ASCP) or equivalent certification within 1 year of hire date.
- Individual must meet requirements for performing high complexity testing as defined by federal licensing guidelines (CLIA) and accreditation agencies (TJC, CAP). 1 year experience or recent graduate.
- 2 years of experience.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
- Certified Medical Assistant - COVID Tent, Weekend Casual, Days Chicago, Illinois
- Clinical Nurse - Cardiac Transplant Intensive Care Unit, Full-time, Nights Chicago, Illinois
- Certified Medical Assistant - COVID Tent, Full-time, Days Chicago, Illinois
- ICU RN, Full-time, Days, $2,000 Sign On Bonus DeKalb, Illinois
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs