Pre-Med Gap Year Intern Program – Clinic Assistant - OphthalmologyLocation Evanston, Illinois Business Unit Northwestern Medical Group Job REQID 93275 Job Function Intern Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Pre-Med Gap Year Intern reflects the mission, vision, and values of NMHC, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Pre-Med Gap Year Intern offers a valuable one-year opportunity for Pre-Med Gap Year students to become immersed in the healthcare environment through clinical support work, research, and educational seminars. This program pairs participants with a department to support a defined clinic role and focus on a clinically oriented research project, while participating in faculty-led lecture series with the goal of preparation for medical school. This opportunity allows Pre-Med Gap Year students to develop a working knowledge of operations in a complex academic medical center, participate in enrichment activities and create a professional network with students, clinical and administrative staff, leadership, and physicians.
- The student will work closely with the COA's (Techs) and the physicians, supporting them by completing "specialty testing" for our Ophthalmology patients including conducting Visual Fields, Ocular Coherence Tomography, Photography of the Eye (Fundus camera), and Ultrasound of the Eye (Biometry).
- Under the supervision of healthcare provider, assists with performing patient treatments.
- Performs basic tasks, screening procedures and specimen collection.
- Screens for and communicates changes in patient condition.
- Documents patient care given.
- Maintains equipment and medical supplies, including reordering, stocking, cleaning, and troubleshooting.
- Maintains examination area.
- May perform administrative or clerical duties as assigned, including filing, reception, scheduling, data entry, billing, and patient registration.
- Presents a friendly, approachable, professional demeanor and appearance.
Program Start Date - Wednesday, July 12th, 2023
Program Time Commitment: 1 year duration
Required Documentation for Application Submission:
- You must also attach a one-page statement, in a Word Document or PDF format, addressing the following:
- Describe why you have an interest in a career as a physician
- Describe an obstacle you’ve faced when working towards your academic, career, or personal goals and how you’ve worked to overcome it (including lessons you’ve learned through those experiences and how they will help you be successful in your career as a physician)
- Where you currently stand in your gap year (ie studying for the MCAT, applying to med schools, interviewing for med school, etc.)
Please note, to be considered for this role, you must submit BOTH attachments after you apply. After you apply, you will receive an automated email to set up an account. Once your account is set up, you can log back into your application, please navigate to the upload section and press the "+" sign to submit additional attachments. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
- Recent graduate of a Bachelor’s program
- Minimum 3.4 GPA (exceptions made on a case-by-case basis)
- Completion of relevant coursework (or efforts toward completion underway)
- Demonstrates intent to apply to medical school
- Experience with electronic medical record
- One to two years of ambulatory care experience
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Nursing CareersSearch Now
Check out our benefitsRead More
Information Services CareersRead More