Pre-Med Gap Year Intern - Immediate Care Assistant - ICC Evanston, Full-time, DaysLocation Evanston, Illinois Business Unit Northwestern Medical Group Job REQID 91689 Job Function Intern Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Pre-Med Gap Year Intern reflects the mission, vision, and values of NMHC, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Pre-Med Gap Year Intern offers a valuable one-year opportunity for Pre-Med Gap Year students to become immersed in the healthcare environment through clinical support work, research, and educational seminars. This program pairs participants with a department to support a defined clinic role and focus on a clinically oriented research project, while participating in faculty-led lecture series with the goal of preparation for medical school. This opportunity allows Pre-Med Gap Year students to develop a working knowledge of operations in a complex academic medical center, participate in enrichment activities and create a professional network with students, clinical and administrative staff, leadership, and physicians.
The primary work location for this position may be flexible to other sites in northern Chicagoland (i.e. Deerfield, Evanston, etc.) depending on the candidate’s preference. Location and schedule details can be discussed during the interview process but may also include weekends. Ability to travel to other nearby sites as needed will be required.
- Assures efficient patient flow through the site:
- Instructs patients on the use of the Vital Sign Kiosk and ensures it is wiped down properly between patients.
- Escorts patient to exam room, identifies patient with 2 identifiers and prepares patient for examination.
- Obtains accurate vital signs, per organization standards.
- Documents reason for visit and updates/confirms, allergies, smoking history and pharmacy information.
- Promptly informs the MD/APP of any significant change in vital signs or acute symptoms.
- Anticipates/sets up equipment or supplies needed for visit.
- Cleans and prepares exam room for next patient.
- Responds to needs to expedite visits and maintain flow of patients and prioritize tasks accordingly.
- Assists with referrals, transfers and discharge processes.
- Provides high quality care by:
- Providing stand by assist during Tytocare evaluations
- Demonstrates proficiency in connecting patients to a remote provider through the tytocare system.
- Able to assist with remote evaluation through the proper utilization of tytocare evaluation adjuncts to assist with heart/lung sounds and ENT evaluation.
- Escorting patient to lab or radiology department for additional tests or evaluations as needed.
- Obtaining and providing to the patient the AVS form for patient once questions are answered by the care provider.
- Performing the following:
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Wound care
- Specimen collection
- Point-of-care lab testing
- Covid, flu and strep swabbing
- Prepares and stocks all exam rooms in treatment area by following established protocols for disinfecting equipment and instruments.
- Participates in environmental safety rounds.
- Monitors and maintains equipment and instruments according to clinic guidelines.
- Correctly disposes of all expired supplies.
- Adheres to clinic opening and closing procedures.
- Providing stand by assist during Tytocare evaluations
- Functions as an integral part of the patient care team and promotes patient satisfaction by interacting with patients in a professional, friendly manner:
- Interacts in a professional, cooperative manner with other practice staff.
- Accepts and performs delegated responsibilities in a positive manner.
- Offers assistance to others.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings.
- Communicates appropriately and effectively with patients and patient care team (in the clinic and on the phone).
- Performs delegated procedures common to the specialty area in a safe, effective, and efficient manner (see specialty practice addendum).
- Float to all Immediate Care Clinics/Departments within the designated home region
- May perform other duties as assigned
Program Start Date - Wednesday, July 12th, 2023
Program Time Commitment: 1 year duration
Required Documentation for Application Submission:
- You must also attach a one-page statement, in a Word Document or PDF format, addressing the following:
- Describe why you have an interest in a career as a physician
- Describe an obstacle you’ve faced when working towards your academic, career, or personal goals and how you’ve worked to overcome it (including lessons you’ve learned through those experiences and how they will help you be successful in your career as a physician)
- Where you currently stand in your gap year (ie studying for the MCAT, applying to med schools, interviewing for med school, etc.)
Please note, to be considered for this role, you must submit BOTH attachments after you apply. After you apply, you will receive an automated email to set up an account. Once your account is set up, you can log back into your application, please navigate to the upload section and press the "+" sign to submit additional attachments. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
- Recent graduate of a Bachelor’s program
- Minimum 3.4 GPA (exceptions made on a case-by-case basis)
- Completion of relevant coursework (or efforts toward completion underway)
- Demonstrates intent to apply to medical school
- Experience with electronic medical record
- One to two years of ambulatory care experience
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Nursing CareersSearch Now
Check out our benefitsRead More
Information Services CareersRead More