Diabetes Educator Pending Certification - Diabetes Education & Nutrition Crystal Lake Casual DaysLocation Crystal Lake, Illinois Business Unit Regional Medical Group Job REQID 74556 Job Function Nursing Coordinator Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
The Diabetes Educator Pending Certification reflects the mission, vision, and values of Northwestern Memorial, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
This position is a skilled professional nurse with competence in diabetes and lifestyle medicine. The Diabetes Educator works cooperatively and communicates effectively within a multidisciplinary framework to actively promote holistic care for patients and families. This role demonstrates self-direction, excellent problem solving ability and initiative in the role of nurse clinician, educator and consultant.
- Provides direct patient care and/or consultation using in-depth clinical knowledge and skills in area of Diabetes.
- Establishes nursing standards and develop policies and procedures that assure the provision of quality, comprehensive and coordinated care.
- Serves as a consultant to other disciplines on diabetes.
- Receives and assesses referrals from referring providers.
- Consults with multidisciplinary team as appropriate to develop, implement and evaluate care for patients and families.
- Educates patients and/or families on self management skills to promote optimal level of chronic disease management and wellness.
- Collaborates with the Patient Education Department on patient education needs and provides appropriate resources for patients specific to diabetes.
- Documents patient care activities in patient medical records.
- Exemplifies a professional image in appearance, manner and presentation.
- Is an advocate for patients and their significant others, coworkers, the community and the nursing profession.
- Consistently exhibits accountability.
- Champions collaborative practice with coworkers and other disciplines and departments.
- Consistently demonstrates compassion to internal and external customers.
- Dynamic representative of the nursing profession in internal and external forums.
- Integrates theoretical knowledge base and clinical expertise in decision making.
- Assumes responsibility for meeting regulatory and other mandatory requirements.
- Assumes responsibility for personal development plan and education/certification related to clinical specialty area.
- Supports and models personal wellness
- Serves as a patient advocate and role model for "Patients First"
- Mentors staff to ensure quality of health care practices
- Participates in unit/departmental/divisional or hospital committees/task forces
- Consults with management in assessment, problem solving, decision making, and evaluating clinical/system issues
- Participates in programs to meet continuing education requirements.
- Provide formal education to both internal and external groups pertinent to diabetes.
- Develop and present educational materials in support of specific educational and behavioral goals, and modify such materials to as needed to support individual patients.
- Facilitates research based practice in clinical area of diabetes/lifestyle medicine.
- Collect and document quality management and outcomes research data.
- Participates in research pertinent to area of diabetes/lifestyle medicine.
- Licensed as a professional nurse in the state of Illinois.
- Obtain certification as a Certified Diabetes Educator within one year.
- Current certification in Basic Life Support at the healthcare provider level.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited Nursing program with two years nursing experience and experience with insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitoring.
- Two years of experience in diabetes care.
- Master’s degree from an accredited Nursing program or in a related field.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs