Unit Secretary, Prentice Floor 10, Full Time, DaysLocation Chicago, Illinois Business Unit Northwestern Memorial Hospital Job REQID 78412 Job Function Customer Service Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
- $10,000 Tuition Reimbursement per year ($5,700 part-time)
- $6,000 Student Loan Repayment ($3,000 part-time)
- $1,000 Professional Development per year ($500 part-time)
- $250 Wellbeing Fund per year($125 for part-time)
- Annual Employee Merit Increase and Incentive Bonus
- Paid time off and Holiday pay
***Two week repeat core schedule Tue, Fri, Sat ; Sunday, Wed, Friday; Hours 0730am - 2000***
The Unit Secretary reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Unit Secretary is the receptionist for the patient care unit and is often the first person to greet and assist patients, visitors, and staff. The Unit Secretary coordinates the flow of information at the nurses’ station in a positive and timely manner. The Unit Secretary assists physicians, nurses, and other health care providers in coordinating the patient’s stay care and experience.
- Extends courtesies to patients, staff, and visitors in a prompt and responsive manner in all communications.
- Assists in monitoring visitor/employee access including the presence of badges in all patient care areas including the visitor waiting areas and alerts security as necessary.
- Recognizes difficult patient, staff and visitor situations, facilitates communication and escalates appropriately.
- Assists and directs patients, staff and visitors according to hospital policies.
- Answers the phone promptly and transfers calls according to NMH phone standards using AIDET.
- Effectively coordinates calls on multiple lines simultaneously.
- Promptly and accurately answers and responds to all patient calls within identified timeframe via the nurse call system using AIDET.
- Recognizes patient care requests requiring urgent attention and escalates to appropriate staff.
- Assures patients with communication needs are identified at the nurse call system and calls are handled appropriately.
- Prepares medical records on admission, discharge and transfer.
- Responsible for the maintenance of the patient medical record including but not limited to:
- Assisting the care team in obtaining and releasing medical records.
- Maintains paper record and remains informed of the location
- Places forms in the medical record including but not limited to discharge paperwork, outpatient records, home health orders, advanced directives and POLST,
- Scans appropriate forms into the electronic medical record (EMR) and notifies appropriate team members when additional documents are added to paper chart.
- Ensure nurse coverage is appropriately identified in EMR.
- Facilitates unit readiness for EMR downtime including but not limited to knowledge of downtime procedures and maintenance of appropriate forms.
- Assists in promptly reporting problems with EMR to the IT HELP desk.
- Verifies regulatory documentation at the point of care and escalates to the appropriate care team of any missing documents.
- Performs charge entry accurately.
- Performs admission, discharge, and transfer activities in a timely manner.
- Notifies the appropriate nursing staff and physician upon patient admission.
- Notifies appropriate nurse staff and physician when consulting teams arrive to the unit.
- Obtains patient identification if needed.
- Assigns appropriate caregivers in the nurse call system.
- Prepares patient chart: to be sent to medical records after patient discharge, for discharge to another healthcare facility, for transfer to another inpatient unit or the OR.
- Requests time for will-call ambulance and Medicare.
- Requests patient escort when appropriate.
- Tracks patient scheduling for tests and procedures and informs care providers of anticipated time.
- Tracks patient activity on and off patient care unit - monitors and updates bed tracking as appropriate.
- Verifies and reconciles unit census for accuracy in collaboration with charge nurse and/or Clinical Coordinator.
- Other duties and responsibilities supporting patient flow as delegated by unit leadership.
Desk Flow Clerical Organization:
- Receives and distributes patient care unit deliveries to patients and staff.
- Accepts deliveries and stocks in appropriate place.
- Maintains a clean, uncluttered nursing station and tube station.
- Places service requests for equipment and repair and follows up to ensure repair is complete.
- Maintains and tracks an adequate supply of forms, clerical equipment, and nursing supplies according to patient care unit standards.
- Accurately completes and submits supply requisitions.
- Performs basic computer/printer maintenance: add paper, toner, fix printer jams.
- Maintains list of staff assignments and phone numbers, and distributes as appropriate.
- Ensures unit signage is stocked.
- Demonstrates ability to use online systems as required.
- Attend appropriate training classes necessary to perform job.
- Other duties and responsibilities delegated by unit leadership.
- High School or GED.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Computer experience.
- One year of college or business school.
- Unit secretary experience.
- Medical terminology.
Equal OpportunityNorthwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs