Undergraduate Intern - Pre-Med (Summer 2021)Chicago, Illinois Job REQID REF13103V Job Function Intern Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Northwestern Medicine Pre-Med Undergraduate Internship offers a valuable opportunity for pre-med undergraduate students to become immersed in the healthcare environment through project work, observation and educational seminars. This paid summer program based on Northwestern Medicine’s downtown and north region campuses matches each student with a department to focus on a clinically oriented project culminating in a poster presentation. Throughout the summer, students will rotate to a different clinical environment weekly to gain observation experience and participate in educational series led by NM leaders.
The Pre-Med Undergraduate Intern’s responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Uphold the mission, vision and values of Northwestern Medicine which include Patients First, Excellence, Teamwork, & Integrity.
- Develop a working knowledge of healthcare operations.
- Develop working relationships with staff, leadership, and physicians.
- Participation in activities designed for development of interns during their assignment at Northwestern Medicine; which include:
- New Employee Orientation
- Project assignment(s)
- Networking opportunities, including luncheons with other interns and senior and physician leaders
- Physician lectures and rounds
- Weekly clinical rotation
- Skill development workshops
- Final poster presentation
Program Dates & Schedule:
Application Due Date: January 15, 2021
Start Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2021
End Date: Tuesday, August 10, 2021
Hours: Interns must be available to work Monday through Thursday during standard business hours. Occasional travel to NM sites across Chicagoland (including suburbs) may be required. Depending on the clinical rotation schedule or project assignments, hours may occasionally vary.
- Candidates must have a High School Diploma or the General Equivalent.
- Candidates must be currently enrolled in a four-year undergraduate university with the intent to enroll in a medical school program.
- Preference will be given to students who have not previously completed a paid NMG Pre-Med Internship. Recent graduates with the intent to enroll in medical school will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Preference will be given to students entering their junior or senior year with a graduation date in 2022 or Spring 2023.
- We are seeking students who demonstrate high academic performance, maturity, professionalism, initiative, attention to detail, and the ability to collaborate with others.
Required Documentation for Application Submission to be Uploaded
- One page statement addressing the following:
- Describe why you have an interest in a career as a physician.
- Describe an obstacle you’ve faced when working towards your academic, career, or personal goals and how you’ve worked to overcome it.
- Describe the lessons you’ve learned through those experiences and how they will help you be successful in your career as a physician.
* Please note, to be considered for this role, you must submit BOTH attachments WITHIN 72 HOURS after you apply. When you apply, you will receive an automated email to set up an account. Once your account is set up, you can log back into your application and submit attachments.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
- Insurance Verification Representative - Durable Medical Equipment, Full-time, Days McHenry, Illinois
- Client Office Phlebotomist - HealthLab, Full-time, Days (KD) Palatine, Illinois
- Client Office Phlebotomist - HealthLab, Full-time, Days (SR) Carmel, Indiana
- Talent Acquisition Professional- Human Resources, Full-time, Days Warrenville, Illinois
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs