Sterile Processing Tech II - Feinberg, Full-time, NightsChicago, Illinois Job REQID 6467 Job Function Materials Shift Night Job (3rd) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
- Night Shift
- Feinberg Pavilion CSS
The Sterile Processing Tech II reflects the mission, vision, and values of Northwestern Memorial, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Sterile Processing Tech II must have thorough knowledge of aseptic techniques and procedures, sterilization techniques and procedures, infection control and work flow principles and requirements, equipment and supply processing. This position demonstrates and exercises responsible judgment to provide necessary supplies and equipment for the patient care areas.
- Works under the indirect supervision of the Resource Coordinator and Manager to support Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
- Disassembles, decontaminates, assembles, sterilizes, and stores procedure trays, instruments, and supplies according to prescribed procedure and aseptic technique.
- Follows preference sheet to accurately dispense instruments and supplies to Surgery
- This position requires daily flexibility to perform responsibilities, knowledge of routine policies and procedures and adherence of safety and infection control standards.
- Demonstrates knowledge and use of the Tray Tracking computer system in assigned areas of the department.
- Decontaminate, disinfect and/or sterilize surgical instruments in compliance with all established policies and procedures including infection control protocols.
- Inspects, sorts, and processes surgical instrumentation in accordance to policy and procedures.
- Reports and isolates damaged and missing items to Resource Coordinator and Manager.
- Assembles and organizes surgical instrument sets according to instrument count sheets.
- Prepares instrument trays for sterilization by appropriately wrapping or utilizing a sterilization container.
- Performs quality assurance and biological testing on equipment and documents accordingly.
- Operates ultrasonic cleaner, washer-decontaminator, heat-sealing apparatus, sterilizers and cart washers within established guidelines.
- Maintains logs, prepares, checks and records test results. Approves or refuses materials from Sterilizer based on test results. Reports to management any adverse results.
- Executes proper procedures for equipment malfunctions.
- Prepares and delivers accurate and timely case carts for use in surgical procedures.
- Responds to instrument and supply requests from customers in a timely manner.
- Maintains a friendly, clean and orderly work environment.
- Checks and reprocesses any expired items.
- Accurately prepares and labels items for the appropriate method of sterilization.
- Acts as a resource to other staff.
- Maintains a working knowledge of all areas of the department by rotating through assigned work areas to ensure service needs of the customer are meet.
- Maintains National or International Certification for Sterile Processing and Distribution. Assists in responsibility as a self-directed professional for continuing education.
- Completes work from previous shift to accommodate department schedules.
- Dispenses and delivers materials via dumbwaiter, tube system, elevator and/or handcarts.
- Performs role of preceptor during training of new employees.
- Communicates issues, problems and concerns to management in a timely manner.
- Ability to use established communication channels (i.e. Spectralink Phone) in a professional, courteous, and tactful manner, when coverage needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- National (NICHSPDP) or International (IAHCSMM) Certification. Must Maintain National or International Certification.
- High School Diploma
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Physical ability to lift, push, pull or move 30lbs
- Basic Computer Skills
- Experience and knowledge of surgical instrumentation
- Experience and knowledge in the use of all types of sterilization processes, decontamination, packing and shelf life, including aseptic techniques and their applications to various items processed.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
- Financial Analyst - Contract Systems and Audit, Full-time, Days Chicago, Illinois
- EVS Tech Lead - CDH, Full-time, Nights Winfield, Illinois
- Clinical Nurse - Obstetrics, Registry, Rotating - $500 Sign-on Bonus Sandwich, Illinois
- Medical Assistant- Regional Management Group- Rheumatology- Full-time- Days- $2,000 Sign-on Bonus Geneva, Illinois
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs