Spanish Interpreter, Full-time, DaysLocation Chicago, Illinois Business Unit Northwestern Memorial Hospital Job REQID 37301 Job Function Patient Support Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Interpreter reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Conducts medical and general interpreting for patients and their families, physicians, and the healthcare team in accordance with the National Standards of Practice (NCIHC) designed to facilitate the language needs at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Assesses and monitors patients' understanding of information conveyed, and serves as a cultural mediator. Records and monitors interpretation activities according to department standards. Makes decisions regarding prioritization of multiple requests received at one time. - Medical Interpreting: Provides medical and general interpreting services to patients, family members, support persons and healthcare providers and other staff in accordance with the National Standards of Practice (NCIHC). This includes interpreting during consultations and diagnostic testing; medical procedures and operations; the consent process and educational forums.
- Ensures that the patient's and family's needs are communicated to healthcare providers and staff.
- Screens multiple requests for interpreters and prioritizes requests based on urgency of need.
- Assists the healthcare team in problem solving and complaint resolution related to the limited English-Proficient population.
- Initiates and develops positive relationships with patients, visitors, healthcare providers, fellow interpreters and staff, exhibiting respect, flexibility and cooperation at all times.
- Serves as a cultural mediator, as necessary and when appropriate, to enhance communication between American culture staff and native culture patients/families, as it relates to medical care.
- Supports and participates in the continuous assessment and improvement of the interpretation services program.
- Assists with other departmental functions as assigned.
- Actively participates in staff meetings and mandatory in-services.
- Maintains documentation of all interpretation encounters, to include relevant data such as location, duration, and purpose.
- Documents all interpreting encounters accurately and completely, including patient refusals of interpreting services.
- Maintains accurate records of productivity, work volumes, and interpreting requests.
- Proven software competencies (Excel, Word).
- Adaptable to relevant software necessary for data tracking and trending. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit and talk and hear.
- Must hold a certificate of completion substantiating formal training and qualifications for medical interpreting in accordance with the National Standards of Practice of NCIHC. Completion of high school education or equivalent.
- Minimum of three years experience in providing medical interpreting in an acute care setting.
- High level of fluency in English, and another language, both oral and written. Ability to interpret effectively, accurately, and impartially both receptive and expressive, using medical terminology as appropriate.
- Ability to maintain professional demeanor in all situations.
- Knowledgeable about the issues of cultural competency and healthcare disparities.
- Adaptable and sensitive in cross-cultural situations.
- Excellent communication, organizational and customer service skills.
- Bachelor's Degree.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
- Immediate Care Physician - South Suburbs (Orland Park) Orland Park, Illinois
- Endoscopy Tech- Full Time, Days Geneva, Illinois
- Occupational Therapist- Part Time, Days Warrenville, Illinois
- Occupational Therapist- Casual, Rotating Shifts Winfield, Illinois
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs