Social Worker (LSW) - General Medicine, Per-diem, DaysLocation Chicago, Illinois Business Unit Northwestern Memorial Hospital Job REQID 57954 Job Function Mental Health/Social Services Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Social Worker reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Psychosocial Assessment and Intervention:
- Meets directly with patient and family to perform a comprehensive assessment including social, emotional, cultural, mental status, environmental and financial circumstances in conjunction with interdisciplinary assessment of the patient. Recommends a plan of intervention based on patient needs, preference and mutually established goals.
- Provides psychosocial interventions which include reactions to illness and disability, especially the chronically and terminally ill.
- Facilitation of informed decision making [including advanced directives] and development of treatment and intervention plans.
- Adjustment to the hospital setting and compliance with treatment plan.
- Adjustment and coping with post hospital care needs and linkage to community resources.
- Gynecological and obstetrical related issues including teen pregnancy, parenting issues, adoption planning, infant developmental problems, drug exposed neonate, fetal death, unplanned pregnancy, pregnancy termination, and other care as needed.
- Issues related to insurance coverage and payment.
- Psychiatric symptoms and chemical dependency.
- Conflict resolution.
- Family and personal relationship that impact the plan of care and discharge plans.
- Performs assessments of the physical environment and adequacy of support systems for outpatients to prevent a crisis and/or hospitalization.
- Provides crisis intervention and/or Protective Services for the elderly without support systems, with impaired mental status and/or victims of suspected abuse/neglect. Victims of suspected sexual/physical assault (includes rape and molestation). Victims of suspected child abuse or neglect. Victims of domestic violence.
- Guardianship and/or protective services for patients with significant mental status impairment or unsafe living environment. The homeless.
- Manages Discharge Planning through Placement Coordination, Resource Utilization, and Coordination of Skilled Home Health Care.
- Actively participates in the stages of discharge planning and ensures that the plan of care is coordinated, facilitated and effectively communicated to the physicians, healthcare team, patient and family.
- Provide initial screening for all new patients to assure medical necessity, source of funding, and likelihood of needing Social Work and/or discharge planning services.
- Serves as the point person for the plan of care as it applies to discharge planning needs through facilitation of direct and continuous communication and collaborative decision making, including participation in multidisciplinary rounds and case conferences and other collaborative forums.
- Coordinates action plans when barriers are present to facilitate resolution.
- Coordinates discharge planning to ensure a timely discharge through early identification, assessment and intervention for post hospital care needs.
- Patient assessment, plan coordination and changes to the plan occur, as necessary, to ensure that the patient is discharged when medically ready to other acute hospitals, rehabilitative facilities, extended care facilities, sub-acute care, psychiatric and chemical dependency care. return to home, or other living arrangements.
- Meets directly with patient and family to assess needs, preferences and develop appropriate plan that involves home health care services in collaboration with the physician.
- Ensures and maintains plan consensus from patient and family, physician and payer.
- Timely discharge is facilitated through early identification, ongoing assessment and intervention for post hospital care needs.
- Collaborates and communicates with multidisciplinary team in all phases of discharge planning, ensures and maintains plan consensus from patient and family, physician, and payer as indicated.
- Proactively identifies and resolves delays and obstacles to discharge.
- Utilizes advanced conflict resolution skills as necessary to ensure timely resolution of issues and system problems.
- Seeks consultation from and makes referrals to appropriate disciplines and departments as required to expedite discharge plan.
- Demonstrates knowledge of community resources and an ability to connect patients and families with these resources; acts as an advocate on behalf of the patient who requires assistance to gain access to needed information, resources, or services.
- Facilitates review of high risk cases by Office of General Counsel, Risk Management and informs appropriate members of the healthcare team as to interventions needed.
- Coordinates interventions in collaboration with healthcare team and ensures that interventions are successful.
- Provides patient and family education that promotes wellness and increases knowledge of the health care system.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the utilization management process which includes level of care assignment, communication with payors and benefit authorization for applicable situations.
- Actively participates in Clinical Performance Improvement Activities, assists in the collection and reporting of financial indicators including LOS, avoidable days, resource utilization, and discharge barriers.
- Uses data to drive decisions and plan/implement performance improvement strategies related for assigned patients/units, including financial, clinical, quality and patient satisfaction data.
- New graduates are required to participate in weekly clinical supervision with a LCSW Social Worker until a minimum of 3000 supervised hours is fulfilled. Upon completion of three years of post masters degree, is eligible to provide graduate level Social Work field supervision requiring a field placement.
- Assumes responsibility for professional development and meeting Social Work CEU requirements by participating in workshops, conferences, and/or inservices.
- Complies with Northwestern Memorial Hospital policies on patient confidentiality including HIPAA requirements and Personal Rules of Conduct.
- The Social Worker LSW - PNE meets the professional exemption under FLSA but works irregular hours.
- Master's degree in Social Work from a school of Social Work accredited by CSWE is required.
- A high level of interpersonal skills to affect positive outcomes.
- Organizational skills necessary to prioritize and manage an appropriate caseload of patients coupled with performing the Social Worker functions.
- Self direction required for daily work.
- Analytical skills necessary to independently collect, analyze, and interpret data, resolve problems requiring innovative solutions and to negotiate in sensitive situations.
- Licensure in Illinois; Licensed Social Worker, LSW.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
- Medical Assistant- RMG Rheumatology, Full-Time, Days [$2,000 Sign-On Bonus] Warrenville, Illinois
- Staff Nurse, License Pending – ICU, Full-Time, Nights Lake Forest, Illinois
- Immediate Care Technician, River North, Full-time, Days **$2000 sign-on bonus Chicago, Illinois
- Housekeeping Assistant I, Fulltime, Evening Palos Heights, Illinois
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs