Remote Inpatient Coder I - Hospital Billing, Part-time, Days 10K SIGN ON BONUS!Location Chicago, Illinois Business Unit Northwestern Medicine Corporate Job REQID 33184 Job Function Health Information Management Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
*Work Remote from Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Missouri, and Indiana*
*28 Hours/Week - Flexible, Day Shifts available Monday through Friday*
The Inpatient Coder I reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Inpatient Coder I, coding acute care inpatient, must possess knowledge and technical expertise of ICD-10-CM/PCS diagnosis and procedure coding.
- Understands coding conventions/instructions, Official Guidelines for Coding, and Reporting and Coding Clinics.
- Has a good understanding of disease process, anatomy/physiology, pharmacology and medical terminology.
- Understands APR and MS-DRG reimbursement methodology for acute care coding.
- For inpatient rehabilitation coding, must possess knowledge and technical expertise of ICD-10-CM diagnosis coding.
- Must possess a blended understanding of the Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting, and guidelines specific to Inpatient Rehab Facilities.
- Must understand IRF-PAI (Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility Patient Assessment Instrument) guidelines as it relates to coding.
- Must have a working knowledge of the IGC (Impairment Group Codes) and RIC (Rehabilitation Impairment Categories) as it relates to the primary diagnosis selection and claim reimbursement.
- Performs a review of medical record documentation within CAC (computer assisted coding) or Epic to identify the appropriate principal/primary diagnosis, CC/MCC/tier, (co-morbidity/complication, major co-morbidity/complication, tier 1, 2, 3) as these diagnoses impact reimbursement. Also, identify other secondary diagnoses and all appropriate procedures.
- Navigates Epics Doc Review, Hospital Chart or Chart Review outside of CAC when necessary.
- Utilizes 3Ms encoder resources to ensure optimal coding accuracy.
- Optimizes CAC to ensure coding efficiency.
- Collaborates occasionally with Clinical Documentation Specialists when there is a diagnosis or DRGmismatch or query opportunity to ensure clarity and accuracy of medical record documentation.
- Articulates rationale for coding selections when necessary, i.e. data quality audit.
- Maintains diagnosis, procedure, DRG and overall accuracy within department standard of 95% or better.
- Maintains productivity standard within department standard of 90% or better
- 1 year of inpatient coding experience in an acute healthcare or inpatient rehabilitation setting or progressive coding experience internally. Must have formal training in PCS coding.
- RHIA, RHIT or CCS credential.
- AHIMA membership
- Associate's degree in related field.
- 2 years of inpatient coding experience in an acute healthcare setting that includes a teaching hospital
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
- Patient Services Rep- Regional Medical Group Pediatrics- Part-Time, Days South Elgin, Illinois
- Food Service Worker - Kish Food & Nutrition Services, Full-time, Rotating, $2,000 Sign-on Bonus DeKalb, Illinois
- Patient Service Representative - Cardiology, Full-time, Days Chicago, Illinois
- Department Secretary - Outpatient Rehabilitation, Full-time, Rotating Sycamore, Illinois
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs