Principal Systems EngineerLocation Chicago, Illinois Business Unit Northwestern Medicine Corporate Job REQID 32376 Job Function Information Technology Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Principal Systems Engineerreflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Principal Systems Engineer is responsible for keeping the hardware systems, their associated operating systems, and connectivity capabilities fully operational and well-integrated into NM information technology environment. This position also monitors, analyzes and plans upgrades, as necessary, to ensure adequate capacity and availability to meet the user needs.
- General Technical Skills
- Maintains solid technical competence for assigned services and systems while grasping the integration and interaction of all supported services and systems.
- Collaborates with Architects and IS operational teams (business, information, application, software, technology).
- Creates, documents, and communicates the integration approach of all the components of the architecture.
- Researches, analyzes, determines capabilities and proposes solution alternatives that address specific business needs and product/service strategies.
- Develop road maps describing the evolution of all enterprise solution portfolios from current state to future state.
- Perform design reviews of solutions to ensure the design aligns and supports the specified architecture.
- Demonstrate strong technical knowledge and familiarity with how portfolios of systems work together to create enterprise solutions.
- Customer Service
- Works effectively in supporting the technology teams with project and support activities.
- Actively participates and communicates with the project teams. Prepares and delivers effective support by seeking a thorough understanding of the team’s goals and objectives.
- Understands the business and clinical processes at NMHC and the operational environments of assigned customers.
- Communication Skills
- Communicates clearly, responsively, and purposely with customers and team members.
- Proficient in all written communication, both internally and externally.
- Ability to establish and maintain a high level of trust, confidence and intellectual integrity with both Business and IT partners
- Reviews technology projects, analyzes business requirements, recommends system changes, writes technical specifications and implements system and system changes to address changing technology requirements.
- Provides technical leadership including the identification and implementation of NMHC best practice standards.
- Participates in long and short range technology planning.
- Personal and Staff Development
- Leads on-going process to integrate vendor, manufacturer and point-expertise technical knowledge into NMHC.
- Provides mentoring and acts as a resource for others on the immediate team, as well as members of the IS technology teams.
- Lead by example, influence and shape outlook and attitudes to facilitate change from a tactical to a strategic oriented enterprise
- Focuses on IS team success and promotes collaborative efforts with others.
- Shifts easily among different technical and project roles as required by situation.
- Anticipates and adapts well to rapid change and multiple priorities.
- Contributes to the IS Knowledge Repository.
- Additional Functions
- Providing on-call support may be required.
- Bachelor’s in computer science or related field or equivalent years of experience
- 12+ years technical experience
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Master’s degree
- 15+ years of experience in core discipline in the healthcare industry
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
- Registered Nurse- PH Perinatal, Casual, Nights Palos Heights, Illinois
- Registered Nurse - PH Oncology -Sg4 North - Part-Time, Days - Sign On-Bonus Eligible Palos Heights, Illinois
- Registered Nurse - PH Med Surg Hp3, Full-Time Days - Sign On Bonus Eligible Palos Heights, Illinois
- Registered Nurse - PH Med Surg Hp3, Full-Time, Days, - Sign On Bonus Eligible Palos Heights, Illinois
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs