Pre-Med Gap Year Intern - Ophthalmology Scribe, Full-time, DaysLocation Chicago, Illinois Business Unit Northwestern Medical Group Job REQID 59069 Job Function Intern Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Pre-Med Gap Year Intern reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Pre-Med Gap Year Intern offers a valuable one-year opportunity for Pre-Med Gap Year students to become immersed in the healthcare environment through clinical support work, research, and educational seminars. This program pairs participants with a department to support a defined clinic role and focus on a clinically oriented research project, while participating in faculty-led lecture series with the goal of preparation for medical school. This opportunity allows Pre-Med Gap Year students to develop a working knowledge of operations in a complex academic medical center, participate in enrichment activities and create a professional network with students, clinical and administrative staff, leadership, and physicians.
- Support department by fulfilling a defined clinical/patient support role.
- Conduct a clinically oriented research project determined by department
- Full communication with department managers and staff in order to successfully transition work at close of internship
- Present on research findings at the end of the program
- Participate in faculty-led lectures
- Students will participate for one year in duration with a defined start and end date
- Additional duties, responsibilities and tasks will be outlined in an appended document to meet the needs of the individual and organization in each internship.
- Please refer to NMHC Performance (Standard/Leadership) Competencies.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate and interact with others
- Ability to problem solve under pressure
- Understanding of and commitment to appropriate protection of confidential patient information
- Complying with all NMHC policies, including those relating to confidentially of patient information, and all local, State, and Federal guidelines for documentation, confidentially, and privacy (HIPAA)
- Recent graduate of a Bachelor’s program
- Minimum 3.4 GPA (exceptions made on a case-by-case basis)
- Completion of relevant coursework (or efforts toward completion underway)
- Demonstrates intent to apply to medical school
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
- Film File Clerk - Mammography, Full-time, Days Chicago, Illinois
- Clinical Nurse - CDH Labor & Delivery, Full-time, Nights Winfield, Illinois
- Housekeeping Assistant I - PH Housekeeping - Discharge Team, Full-Time, Evenings Palos Heights, Illinois
- Housekeeping Assistant II - Support Services Environmental, Full-time, Days Chicago, Illinois
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs