Phlebotomist-Diagnostic Testing Center, Full-time, DaysChicago, Illinois Job REQID 8648 Job Function Laboratory Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Phlebotomist reflects the mission, vision, and values of Northwestern Memorial, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The phlebotomist provides technically expert phlebotomy service throughout all areas of the hospital including but not limited to intensive care units, transplant units, psychiatry units, outpatient areas, nursery and research patients. In their role, phlebotomists serve as liaisons between the laboratory and patients and nursing. They must demonstrate excellent customer service and communication skills and the ability to function as part of a highly effective team that consistently puts "Patients First".
- Perform Phlebotomy, including venipuncture and capillary draws, using appropriate, established procedures.
- Procedures may include:
- Blood cultures
- Heel or finger sticks
- PKU collection
- Special techniques for difficult venipuncture.
- Perform EKGs using appropriate, established procedures.
- Provide instructions to patients regarding collection of various non-blood specimens for laboratory testing.
- Greet and establish positive first impressions with patients and customers, establishing a role as patient advocate.
- Work closely with nursing to verify patient orders and collections.
- Utilize the LIS bar-code labels and draw sheets appropriately.
- Use manual requisitions and labels appropriately.
- Label and process specimens according to established protocols and policies.
- Follow all infection control policies, especially when drawing patients in isolation.
- Maintain safe and clean work environment by utilizing personal protective equipment and safety devices appropriately.
- Participate in Safety and Infection Control activities.
- Utilize the LIS to accurately enter patient test orders or specimen receipt verification.
- Utilize the LIS to investigate problems and appropriately credit tests in a timely manner.
- Utilize the LIS and HIS to receive/send Laboratory specific and Hospital communications.
- Stock and monitor inventory of supplies including phlebotomy, medical supplies and Infant Chain of Custody supplies.
- Document occurrences appropriately and in a timely fashion per the department's Occurrence Management policy.
- Assist in the practical training of RNs, PCTS and Residents.
- Must effectively procure blood specimens from infant, adult, geriatric and wheelchair bound patients.
- Must demonstrate competency for age related responsibilities.
- Certificate from accredited medical phlebotomy program or equivalent
- High School diploma or equivalent
- At least 1 year of experience performing phlebotomy on a broad range of patient types in a hospital setting.
- Current CPR certification
- At least 2 years experience performing phlebotomy on a broad range of patient types in a hospital setting.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
- Insurance Verification Representative - Durable Medical Equipment, Full-time, Days McHenry, Illinois
- Client Office Phlebotomist - HealthLab, Full-time, Days (KD) Palatine, Illinois
- Client Office Phlebotomist - HealthLab, Full-time, Days (SR) Carmel, Indiana
- Talent Acquisition Professional- Human Resources, Full-time, Days Warrenville, Illinois
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs