Patient Access SpecialistLocation Chicago, Illinois Business Unit Northwestern Medicine Corporate Job REQID 79839 Job Function Customer Service Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
- $10,000 Tuition Reimbursement per year ($5,700 part-time)
- $6,000 Student Loan Repayment ($3,000 part-time)
- $1,000 Professional Development per year ($500 part-time)
- $250 Wellbeing Fund per year($125 for part-time)
- Annual Employee Merit Increase and Incentive Bonus
- Paid time off and Holiday pay
The Patient Access Specialist reflects the mission, vision, and values of NMHC, adheres to the organizations Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Consistently practices Patients First philosophy and adheres to high standards of customer service. This includes setting an example to peers, coworkers, etc. by fostering a team atmosphere.
- Responds to questions and concerns.
- Forwards, directs, and notifies Team Lead or Operations Coordinator of extraordinary issues as necessary.
- Maintains patient confidentiality per HIPAA regulations.
- Provides exceptional customer service to patients which establish a positive first impression of Northwestern Medicine.
- Exceeds all consumer requests and alerts management of issues or concerns that require escalation.
- Correctly identifies and collects patient demographic information in accordance with organization standards.
- Interacts with various hospital departments and physicians offices to effectively schedule and direct patients through the NMHC systems in a patient/customer friendly manner.
- Reaches out to patients to schedule an appointment as defined.
- Performs medical necessity checks as necessary for scheduled services, communicates options to patient if appointment fails.
- Informs patients of any issues with securing the financial account for their encounter.
- Completes out-of-pocket estimations as requested by patients.
- Provides training and education as needed.
- Manages work schedule efficiently, completing tasks and assignments on time.
- Completes other duties assigned by manager.
- Cross-training between various departments will take place to ensure coverage.
- Participates in Quality Assurance reviews to ensure integrity of patient data information.
- Uses effective service recovery skills to solve problems or service breakdowns when they occur.
- Utilizes department and hospital policies and procedures to complete assigned tasks.
- Adheres to all department policies and compliance requirements.
- Avoids putting patient in financial or safety risk.
- Other duties as assigned.
Communication and Collaboration:
- Communicates information to the patient regarding questions about physician referrals, insurance referrals and consultations.
- Collects authorization numbers in appropriate systems as applicable.
- Provides professional and constructive environment for communication across units/departments and resolves operational issues.
- May attend intra/interdepartmental meetings which involve walking within NM Campus.
- Communicates customer satisfaction issues to appropriate individuals.
- Demonstrates teamwork by helping co-workers within and across departments.
- Communicates effectively with others, respects diverse opinions and styles, and acknowledges the assistance and contributions of others.
- Interacts with internal customers to provide excellent support service to staff in departments which provide direct patient care.
- Accommodates all levels of communication ability.
- Utilizes multiple online order retrieval systems to verify or print the patients order.
- Verifies insurance eligibility and benefit levels through the use of online tools (NDAS, ASF, etc.) or over the phone as necessary.
- Completes accurate handoff instructions and notes to scheduling staff, by noting appropriately in Epic.
- Demonstrates ability to use all computer applications efficiently and to the capacity needed in this position.
- Runs real time eligibility (RTE) on all patients to verify insurance and follows out of network policies as applicable.
- Sends quality Epic Messages/Telephone encounters that are descriptive and grammatically correct.
Efficiency, Process Improvement, and Business Growth:
- Proactive in preventing issues with patient visit by double checking type of test, preps required, assuring no conflict with other tests, verifying time and location, communicating relevant information, verifying documenting order retrieval in notes for check-in person, ensures there are no duplicate patient records.
- Understands minimum data set required for a complete registration, collects and verifies critical data and updates that information into registration system.
- Understands departmental and individual quality metrics.
- Proactively analyzes account activity, identifies problems, and initiates appropriate actions/resolutions.
- Evaluates procedures and suggests improvements to enhance customer service and operational efficiency.
- Participates in departmental quality improvement activities.
- Provides ideas and suggestions for process improvements within the department.
- Monitors registration and scheduling, including insurance verification to ensure processing within prescribed quality standards.
- Adjusts processes as needed to meet standards.
- Uses organizational and unit/department resources efficiently.
- Acts as a training resource for new staff and a resource for coworkers, sharing process and workflow information.
- Understands that schedule may change to reflect shifting business needs.
- Evolves and learns as healthcare policies change.
EOE including Disabled and Veterans.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- 2-3 years customer service or medical office experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in computer data-entry/typing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate effectively in English.
- Basic Computer Skills.
- Ability to type 40 wpm.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Customer service oriented.
- Excellent organizational, time management, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Additional education.
- Additional language skills.
- Healthcare finance and/or healthcare insurance experience.
- Knowledge and experience in a healthcare setting, especially patient scheduling and/or registration.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs