Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant - Cardiogenic SHOCK Coordinator, Full-time, DaysLocation Chicago, Illinois Business Unit Northwestern Medical Group Job REQID 38540 Job Function Advanced Practice RN Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
Northwestern Medicine has an exciting opportunity for either a Nurse Practitioner or a Physician Assistant to work in our cardiac surgery department as the APP Coordinator over the SHOCK/Acute Mechanical Circulatory Support teams. Spanning both the inpatient and outpatient settings, the advanced practice provider will work in tandem with the SHOCK Medical Director and other key stakeholders to provide clinical expertise in the management of cardiogenic shock and acute mechanical circulatory support patients. The APP will maintain the internal database of cardiogenic SHOCK patients submitting to national registry as required. In addition, the APP will be an essential part of program development and outreach initiatives to embed best practices across the NM System and aid in the development of a post-discharge clinic for cardiogenic shock patients. Future state will have a clinic presence but primary focus will be consult and data entry focused.
Schedule: M-F, days; no nights/weekends/holidays/on-call
- Works in tandem with ECMO Coordinator for oversight and maintenance of ECMO/SHOCK program polices, standards and quality measures in collaboration with the program medical director and other key stakeholders.
- Works in collaboration with Protected PCI Program as it relates to overall growth and quality review.
- Partner with Vendors and Physician leads for ongoing education related to new devices utilized within the SHOCK program
- Provide SHOCK and AMCS education for clinicians in partnership with the ECMO Coordinator throughout the medical center including, critical care nurses, respiratory therapists, faculty and resident physicians, physician assistants, as well as perfusionists.
- Provide clinical expertise and supervision while a patient is on ECMO and/or Acute Mechanical Circulatory Support. This will include collaboration and discussion with ECMO physicians as well as the patient’s primary care team.
- Maintain accountability over the SHOCK program.
- Maintain relationships with various clinical services that support the SHOCK program including: adult critical care, cardiothoracic surgery, adult general surgery, and adult cardiology
- Leads and participates in process improvement for the program and for the quality of clinical outcomes.
- Maintain internal database of SHOCK patients, outcomes, and complications and submit to national registry as required.
- Conduct outreach efforts to develop robust referral network.
- Follow emerging trends in the field of cardiogenic shock management by reading published peer reviewed journal articles as well as attendance at regional or national conferences.
- Provides direct clinical care to ECMO/VAD/Acute MCS patients.
- Conducts comprehensive appraisals of patients' health status by taking health histories and performing physical examinations in clinical area.
- Prescribes/orders medications, therapies; orders/interprets laboratory tests, x-rays and procedures according to clinical privileges.
- Evaluates patients to determine their need for further health care.
- Provides comprehensive teaching to patients and families. Documents in the medical record all care and education provided and/or procedures performed for which the Licensed Advanced Practice Provider is responsible.
- Refers to other disciplines as appropriate.
- Consultant to other disciplines in areas of expertise.
- Integrates research based knowledge and clinical expertise in decision making.
- Exemplifies a professional image in appearance, manner and presentation.
- Advocate for patients, families, coworkers, and the community.
- Maintains certifications and continuing education as required for licensure and privileging.
- Serves as a patient advocate and role model for "Patients First".
- Participates in unit/departmental/divisional or hospital committees/task forces as appropriate.
- Provides comprehensive teaching strategies for patients and their families.
- Develops and participates in programs to meet continuing education needs of staff.
- Serves as a role model and preceptor to students.
- Master’s degree from an accredited school/college of nursing OR master's degree from an accredited Physician Assistant Program
- Acute care certification required for APRNs
- Current license as a Registered Nurse in the State of Illinois. Current license as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse in the State of Illinois. Certification as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse by a national certifying body as approved by the Illinois Department of Regulation APRN Board. Once licensed may apply for a controlled substance license and DEA number OR Master’s degree from an accredited Physician Assistant Program/Current license as a Physician Assistant in the State of Illinois. Once licensed may apply for a controlled substance license and DEA number
- Privileged and credentialed through the NMH Medical Staff Office (MSO)
- Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation – BLS, issued by the American Heart Association
- Minimum of three (3) years of cardiac surgery and critical care experience
- Experience with both veno-arterial and veno-venous modes of ECMO support.
- Experience with Impella and IABP management.
- Experience with the setup, priming, and initiation of centrifugal pump based ECMO equipment.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
- Medical Assistant - Internal Medicine, Full-time, Days *$2,000 Sign-on Bonus* Chicago, Illinois
- Nurse Clinician - Transitional Care, Full-time, Days Chicago, Illinois
- Nurse Clinician - Infusion, Part-time (24 hrs/wk), Days Chicago, Illinois
- Case Manager - Pre-Admissions Testing, Huntley, Full-time, Days Huntley, Illinois
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs