Medical Physics Resident, Full-Time, DaysLocation Chicago, Illinois Business Unit Northwestern Memorial Hospital Job REQID 15091 Job Function Imaging and Radiology Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
Northwestern Memorial Hospital (NMH) is a flagship hospital of Northwestern Medicine (NM) with a mission of Patients First affiliated with Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. We are located in the heart of downtown Chicago and only 2 blocks from Michigan Avenue. NM is ranked 10th in the U.S. 10 years in a row and its cancer program is ranked 8th this year by the US News and World Report. The 2-year Medical Physics Residency program is CAMPEP accredited and provides fully integrated training in every aspect of radiation treatment (3DCRT, IMRT, VMAT, IGRT, SBRT, IORT, LDR, HDR brachytherapy, Gamma knife, MR-linac). Details about this program can be found here: https://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/sites/rad-oncology/education/med-physics-program/index.html.
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Medical Physics Residentwill get experience in dosimetry, treatment planning, brachytherapy, different imaging modalities, SRS planning and treatment, MR-guided treatment, quality assurance, dosimeter used in the field and special procedures such as TBI, TSET under the supervision of board certified medical physicist and radiation oncologist. This is a benefit eligible two year temporary position for training purposes.
Under the tutelage of the qualified medical physicist (QMP) , dosimetry staff and therapist over the course of a two-year period MPR will participate and learns under direct supervision of staff physicists and Director of educational coordinator:
- Develop and verify the prescribed radiation treatment plan for a given patient in consultation with the radiation oncologist for different modality of radiation treatment: External beam, Radiosurgery (gamma knife), Hyperthermia, MR-Linac and Brachytherapy
- Participate in multi-image CT, MRI, PET, PET/CT registration and dose calculation process.
- Involve in treatment simulation and treatment procedures
- Assist with initial, weekly and final chart check
- Participate in decision making for bolus thickness, custom block, immobilization device and best setup for simulation and treatment
- Help perform and verify accuracy of treatment calculations under direct supervision of QMP.
- Create and oversee the implementation of complex treatment plans, including but not limited to: IMRT, IGRT, CBCT, IGRT, VMAT, SBRT, adaptive planning
- Participate in-vivo dose measurement using TLDs, diodes, Mosfets, film, and other detectors, recording, and communicating the results appropriately.
- Perform and record weekly, monthly and annual physics quality control and quality assurance processes.
- Learn treatment planning using CT, MRI, PET data.
Orients to Additional Physics Functions:
- Assist in commissioning of new equipment, development of new treatment techniques, shielding calculation for a new treatment room, quantitative analysis of clinical trial data, and other appropriate clinical duties.
- Perform and analyze pertinent functions for quality control of radiation devices, and provides documentation.
- Assist with clinical research projects
- Assist with special procedures such as LDR & HDR Brachytherapy and Gamma Knife
- Adheres to all radiation safety policies and procedures, ensuring the safety of patients, visitors and staff at all times.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with staff throughout the department.
- Promotes a positive work environment and proper learning attitude for the training
- MS or PhD Degree in Medical Physics or related Physical Sciences from a CAMPEP-accredited Educational Institution
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Some real hands on experience in clinic
- Enthusiasm and eagerness to learn
- Great inter-person skill and ability to work in a group
- Strong computer and/or engineering experience
- Previous clinical experiences in medical physics or dosimetry
- Proven skills in independent clinical research resulting in publication in peer reviewed journals
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
- Medical Scribe - Ophthalmology, Full-time, Days Chicago, Illinois
- Patient Liaison - OBGYN Oncology, Full-time, Days Chicago, Illinois
- Patient Care Technician - Delnor Ortho/Oncology Med/Surgical, Part Time, Days - $1,000 Sign on Bonus Geneva, Illinois
- EVS Technician/Housekeeper - Kish Environmental Services, Summer Help DeKalb, Illinois
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs