Line Cook - Food Service Cook, Part-time, RotatingLocation Chicago, Illinois Business Unit Northwestern Memorial Hospital Job REQID 99167 Job Function Food Services Shift Rotating Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
- $10,000 Tuition Reimbursement per year ($5,700 part-time)
- $6,000 Student Loan Repayment ($3,000 part-time)
- $1,000 Professional Development per year ($500 part-time)
- $250 Wellbeing Fund per year($125 for part-time)
- Annual Employee Merit Increase and Incentive Bonus
- Paid time off and Holiday pay
- Hours: 26 (+) Hours Per Week
- Shift: 5:30AM - 2:00PM or 6:00AM - 2:30PM or 2:00PM -10:00PM (Rotating Shift Schedule) (Works Every Other Weekend and Works Holidays)
- Location: Feinberg/Galter; FL BS
- Union Compensation: $19.00/hourly
The Line Cook reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines, and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Supports Department of Food & Nutrition by preparing hot and cold menu items in an a la carte fashion (i.e. cooked to order) within a room service food production environment.
- Responsible for ingredient preparation and cooking of menu items based on established timing protocols, quality, diet restrictions and presentation standards.
- Prepares room service menu items in accordance with established/approved recipes and plate presentation standards.
- Shows proficiency in all a la carte cooking methods including but not limited to saute, grilling, broiling, frying and individual plating assembly.
- Utilizes/understands the proper use of all types of quantity food production equipment to include but not limited to tilt fryer, turbo chef ovens, floor mixer, pressure steamer, combi oven, convection oven, burner range, proof box, blast chiller, grill and flat top griddle.
- Prepares hot and cold food to order according to department standards of quality ensuring food is properly prepared, presented and appropriately garnished in a high volume preparation environment.
- Maintains proper portion control for each order prepared in accordance with standardized recipes.
- Adheres to diet and allergy restrictions for patient food orders while preparing meals.
- Ensures the quality of all ingredients according to department guidelines.
- Maintains foods at proper temperature.
- Performs assigned tasks efficiently during meal service to maintain accurate and expeditious service.
- Must be proficient in preparing multiple individual food orders at once using a full range of cooking equipment concurrently.
- Follows established food-handling practices to maintain food safety standards and comply with infection control procedures.
- Documents quantity and disposition of leftovers and over production.
- Must label and date product utilized.
- Operates equipment properly, safely and efficiently according to established procedures.
- Reports all damaged and unsafe equipment to management.
- Completes all assigned cleaning by end of each work shift to include but not limited to detailed oven cleaning, fryer grease removal, floors, walls, ranges, grill, counters, broiler, griddle and kettles.
- Cleans assigned areas and equipment according to standards and utilization of proper cleaning chemicals.
- Maintains work area in clean and orderly manner.
- Completes routine projects or detail cleaning duties as assigned.
- Attends department inservices, department meetings and production meetings.
- Follows established break schedule unless otherwise directed by manager.
- Maintains supplies and equipment to ensure efficiency, including portioning, dating, and storage of food.
- Maintains established levels of supplies for work area.
- Notifies management of workload status and availability for additional assignments or need of additional assistance.
- Assists in the orientation of new employees in the department by demonstrating basic duties of job.
- Responds to management requests in a positive and timely manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Good time management skills.
- This job requires lifting and moving objects in excess of 50 lbs.
- Stand and walk 100% of shift.
- Ability to operate all food preparation equipment, including proper cleaning procedures.
- Must be able to perform motor skills such as reaching out, reaching up, bending, twisting, turning, grasping and finger and wrist manipulation, lifting and walking.
- Able to withstand sudden changes in temperatures; heat from equipment and cold from refrigeration and freezer.
- Ability to read and comprehend meal order tickets in an expeditious manner.
- Clear understanding of abbreviations, acronyms and diet terminology as it relates to room service food preparation.
- Ability to give and receive verbal communications on a frequent basis.
- Able to record pertinent data as it relates to job responsibility.
- Ability to push/pull object using moderate effort frequently, maximum effort occasionally.
- Demonstrates a cooperative work relationship with fellow employees.
- Demonstrates a customer service mindset and attitude.
- Maintains equipment and area in neat, clean, organized manner.
- High School Graduate.
- Culinary degree and one year of high volume a la carte experience in a restaurant.
- Food Handling Certification Health Department -- City of Chicago
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs
Nursing OpportunitiesSearch Now
Check out our benefitsRead More
Information Services CareersRead More