Lab Operations Coordinator - Cytology, Full-time, DaysLocation Chicago, Illinois Business Unit Northwestern Memorial Hospital Job REQID 39606 Job Function Laboratory Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Operations Coordinator - Labs reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Reviews and verifies the accuracy of results, quality control records and quality assurance parameters.
- Coordinates and monitors corrective action.
- Develops standard operating procedures and maintains document control.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state, local, JCAHO, CAP, multi-disciplinary, hospital regulations, policies and procedures.
- Participates in planning and maintenance of the laboratory information system (LIS).
- Assures that all computer systems related changes, eg, builds, interfaces within the department are appropriately planned for, well documented per department policy and have receive documented approval at all steps. Investigates and resolves patient, technical and workflow problems related to their area of responsibility.
- Develops and maintains relationships with all customers and suppliers.
- Assures that service standards are implemented and evaluated.
- Facilitates a multi-disciplinary and collaborative approach to patient care and interdepartmental problem solving/service delivery.
- Instructs technologists in the section on new methods and instrumentation.
- Develops curriculum and oversees the education and training of residents in conjunction with the Medical Director.
- Assumes delegated responsibilities in the absence of the Manager.
- Oversees the inventory system to ensure appropriate and adequate supply levels to meet department requirements.
- Oversees the submission of supply requests in accordance with section budget requirements and Purchasing requirements.
- Coordinates the maintenance and repair activities as related to equipment and facilities.
Staff Selection, Training, Supervision, and Evaluation:
- Assists Manager in the interviewing and selection of new hires.
- Coordinates and supervises section staffing to ensure sufficient staff to cover all aspects of service.
- Proactively adjusts daily staff work assignments due to sick leave or increased patient volume.
- Evaluates/approves the need for staff overtime and temporary help.
- Oversees staff adjustments in the Automated Time Recording system, vacation requests and leave requests.
- Ensures department staff provides consistent quality and customer service to all customers.
- Oversees the orientation and training and evaluates section personnel according to guidelines established by Laboratory Management and Human Resources.
- Maintains staff competency and training documentation, including continuing education records.
- Actively ensures staff compliance to Rules of Personal Conduct.
- Adheres to hospital and department policies and procedures.
- Performs complex testing in one or more sections of the laboratory as needed.
- Performs, records and maintains quality control, quality assurance and patient information as required by the laboratory and accrediting agencies, eg. CAP, JCAHO.
- Coordinates operation and maintenance of laboratory equipment; assures maintenance of service records.
- Coordinates advanced troubleshooting and repair.
- Well-versed in contractual terms of maintenance agreements and their administration.
- Coordinates development, revision and updating of procedures and relevant documentation.
- Participates in and presents at laboratory meetings and continuing education programs.
- Coordinates section technical in-service programs.
- As appropriate for the Laboratory section, coordinates the handling and reporting of proficiency testing.
- Investigates and corrects deficiencies with appropriate monitoring.
- Creates, develops and maintains RVU and productivity systems.
- Assures that all billing for services is accurate, timely and in compliance with regulations.
- Operating Budget.
- Assists in preparation and monitoring of expense/revenue budgets.
- Coordinates product evaluation consistent with Hospital Materials Management Program.
- Initiates and facilitates preparation of new program proposals.
- Reconciles statistics and adheres to revenue management standards.
- Maintains productivity standards; organizes and coordinates staff variable in relation to volume, service and financial goals.
- Participates in the negotiation of pricing/terms for supplies and maintenance agreements.
- Assures that research activities performed in the section are in compliance with Hospital Research policies.
- Capital Budget.
- Coordinates preparation of major equipment purchase proposals, selection, and documents for equipment acquisition.
- Participates in the negotiation process.
- Participates in facility changes and planning.
- Establishes and executes personal development objectives as part of annual objective setting process which complements current position.
- Identifies and pursues activities/development opportunities which are appropriate for position and personal development objectives, e.g., participation/leadership in relevant professional groups associations, continuing education as participant, presenter, planner.
- Assesses and communicates staff development needs to Manager.
- Adheres to Patients First Management standards on leadership, communication and visibility.
- Coordinates critical situations involving patients, staff, and visitors and consults with Manager or Director for guidance as needed (e.g., complaints, discipline, the press, etc.).
- Facilitates effective interdepartmental communication of incidents with appropriate personnel (Manager, Director, Medical Staff; etc.).
- Promotes philosophy and objectives of the Hospital, Division and Department.
- Identifies and communicates key issues and trends to Manager.
Medical Staff Relations:
- Works with Medical Directors in implementing goals, objectives, budgets and new programs.
- Works with Medical Directors on resolution of technical and operational issues.
- Supports Clinical Quality Management activities.
- Qualifies as a General Supervisor as defined in CLIA 88 regulations.
- Bachelor's degree in appropriate science with 5 years of relevant clinical laboratory experience.
- MT or HTL or CT or Cytogenetics-certified through recognized Board of Registry, ASCP or equivalent.
- Master's degree in applicable discipline
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
- Certified Medical Assistant - COVID Tent, Weekend Casual, Days Chicago, Illinois
- Clinical Nurse - Cardiac Transplant Intensive Care Unit, Full-time, Nights Chicago, Illinois
- Certified Medical Assistant - COVID Tent, Full-time, Days Chicago, Illinois
- ICU RN, Full-time, Days, $2,000 Sign On Bonus DeKalb, Illinois
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs