Financial Counselor - Full-time DaysLocation Chicago, Illinois Business Unit Northwestern Medicine Corporate Job REQID 5436 Job Function Patient Accounting Support Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Financial Counselor reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Consistently practices Patients First philosophy and adheres to high standards of customer service. This includes setting an example to peers, coworkers, etc. by fostering a team atmosphere.
- Responds to questions and concerns.
- Forwards, directs and notifies Team Lead or Operations Coordinator of extraordinary issues as necessary.
- Maintains patient confidentiality per HIPAA regulations.
- Provides exceptional customer service to consumers which establish a positive first impression of Northwestern Medicine.
- Exceed all consumer requests and alert management of issues or concerns that require escalation.
- Identifies and works to minimize potential financial risk of patient accounts through financial reports, systems information or direct contact.
- Identifies and counsels financially unsecured patients regarding payment options or financial assistance programs based on department policies and procedures.
- Assists patients with completing financial assessment applications, makes eligibility determinations, and promptly notifies patients of outcome.
- Requests and collects patient deposits for self-pay patients receiving future services.
- Works closely with Facility MANG Representatives, Insurance Verification Team, Case Management, Central Scheduling, Ambulatory Registration, Admitting and Registration Departments, and Physician Practices to expedite prompt and appropriate resolution of patient accounts.
- Identifies patients with potential insurance coverage issues, including but not limited to limited coverage, and lack of in-network status.
- Follows department policies and procedures in regards to soliciting financial deposits, identification of in-network providers for out-of-network patients, and communication back to clinical team(s) and/or patient.
- Provides walk-in availability for patients with financial concerns, facilitates payment arrangements including those for Package programs, and accepts payments as necessary.
- Handles phone calls pertaining to aforementioned scope and provides price estimates as appropriate for the type of service requested.
- Adheres to all financial counseling and collection guidelines as established by Northwestern Memorial HealthCare.
- May conduct in-person interviews of patients receiving care while the patient is on-site.
- Performs telephone follow-up with unsecured patients who were not interviewed during their visit.
- Upon identification, Financial Counselor communicates with unsecured patients with identified patient liabilities.
- Complies with and meets all provisions of 501R Regulations, Fair Billing Act, and Hospital Uninsured Discount Program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Communication and Collaboration:
- Reports on activities, issues, and any action items to management and staff.
- Ensures responses to patient and customer inquiries, and assistance to others are performed completely, accurately, and within the time frames defined within division standards, objectives, and goals.
- Works collectively to meet established Dept. goals.
- Documents all patient interactions in Billing System.
- Efficiency, Process Improvement, and Business Growth:
- Meets and/or exceeds departmental, divisional, and institutional goals.
- Adheres to NM, divisional and departmental quality standards. Identifies opportunities for and participates in process improvement activities.
- Creates work that is consistently accurate and reliable.
- Identifies barriers to processes and performs corrective action in order to reduce or eliminate errors.
- Shows attention to detail, uses reasoning skills and is sufficiently organized to produce quality work.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- 2-3 years customer service or medical office experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in computer data-entry/typing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate effectively in English.
- Basic Computer Skills.
- Ability to type 40 wpm.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Customer service oriented.
- Excellent organizational, time management, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Additional language skills.
- Healthcare finance and/or healthcare insurance experience.
- Knowledge and experience in a healthcare setting, especially patient scheduling and/or registration.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
- Case Manager RN/Woodstock-Full-time, Day Woodstock, Illinois
- Staff Nurse-Medical Surgical/Onconolgy-McHenry-Full-time, Nights McHenry, Illinois
- Staff Nurse-Emergency/Huntley-Full-time, Night Huntley, Illinois
- Medical Assistant- Allergy and ENT- Full-time- Days Winfield, Illinois
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs