Cytogenetics Technologist, Full-time, DaysChicago, Illinois Job REQID 0066534 Job Function Laboratory Shift Day Job (1st) Apply Now
• Technical Responsibilities
o Performs all aspects of cytogenetic analysis: tissue culture, cell harvesting, slide preparation and banding, microscope scanning, chromosome analysis, FISH (Fluorescent In-Situ Hybridization) analysis, DNA extractions/microarray based analysis and report drafting.
o Utilizes laboratory instruments independently and performs troubleshooting as needed.
o Performs all aspects of pre-analytic workflow appropriate for the Cytogenetics Laboratory to ensure orders are entered correctly, specimens collected are appropriate for the test ordered and are correctly processed/transported.
o Verifies orders where necessary.
o Verifies non-patient information (e.g., collection time) according to established protocol.
o Handles unresolved orders, troubleshoots where needed.
o Verifies with medical director or operations or resource coordinators to resolve unclear, duplicate or otherwise ambiguous orders prior to LIS order entry.
o Verifies specimens for add-on tests are available and acceptable, verifies with medical director or operations and/or resource coordinators tests are appropriate and generates add-on test orders if approved.
o Collecting, receiving and processing of specimens
Verifies specimens are correctly and completely labeled upon receipt. Evaluates specimens for appropriateness and takes necessary corrective action. Appropriately documents unacceptable specimens.
Prioritizes specimen processing based on established priorities.
Aliquots specimens according to established protocols.
o Maintains test system integrity:
Performs preventative maintenance on instruments/equipment in a timely fashion according to defined schedule.
Verifies reagents and supplies meet defined acceptability criteria upon receipt and prior to use; takes action to ensure unacceptable items are removed from use.
Ensures that sufficient reagents and supplies necessary for test performance are available. Notifies senior staff when minimum inventory level is encountered.
Performs and records all necessary quality control (QC) required for test system performance.
Evaluates QC results and takes necessary corrective actions according to established protocol.
o Performs specimen preparation:
Performs any necessary pretest specimen preparation according to protocols (e.g., tissue culture, cell harvesting, slide preparation, etc).
Documents all aspects of sample preparation in required forms.
o Performs tests:
Prioritizes testing based on assignment or established priorities, completes testing within defined turn-around-times.
Responds effectively to changes in the workflow by coordinating a simultaneous series of tests when needed or adjusting work to incorporate STAT tests or fluctuations in work volume.
o Performs technical review and interpretation:
Reviews results for completeness, correctness, and consistency within defined test system.
Evaluates test results/reactions and provides accurate interpretations as appropriate to include correlation with, and integration of, other patient data as necessary.
Performs visual interpretation/identifications as appropriate.
o Troubleshoots and solves problems:
Recognizes test system performance problems and takes necessary corrective actions.
Recognizes when unresolved problems need to be escalated and takes necessary follow-up action.
Prints pending logs and follows-up to ensure pending tests are completed or cancelled when appropriate.
o Post-test specimen storage:
Stores specimens and related materials (blood, slides, tissues, etc) according to protocols for location and duration.
Retrieves specimen and related materials when needed.
o Conducts validation studies under the direction of coordinator or director.
Performs all aspects of the post-analytic workflow appropriate for the Cytogenetics Laboratory to ensure accurate results are reported within established time frames, specimens are retained appropriately, test results and/or current status are available upon inquiry, and billed charges are correct for testing performed.
Verifies and reports results:
• Verifies results according to procedure.
• Performs computer functions necessary for releasing results.
• Generates written reports according to established protocol.
• Reviews printed reports when applicable, recognizes problems and escalates according to protocol.
• Corrects erroneous reports and amends reports according to procedure.
Responds to inquiries:
• Responds to requests for information according to established protocol for confidentiality and release of information.
• Recognizes when unresolved inquiries need to be escalated and take action.
Stores documents and records:
• Stores documents and records according to established protocol.
• Performs billing and/or enters credits for tests and services when applicable.
• Recognizes billing problems and escalates accordingly.
Ensures quality of operations:
• Follows written standard operating procedures.
• Operates instruments/equipment according to protocol.
• Uses computers according to established protocol; follows downtime procedures as required.
• Performs required Quality System responsibilities.
• Meets competency standards of the department.
• Participates in the training of new employees and students.
• Performs operational review of new procedures.
• Attends at least one personal development session per year.
• Performs other duties as assigned, or as needed, to ensure continued quality of operations.
Ensures safety of operations:
• Follows all required safety procedures, uses personal protective equipment appropriate for tasks performed.
• Maintains clean and organized work area.
Provides service excellence:
• Answers telephones when needed, using NMH telephone etiquette.
• Maintains patient confidentiality.
• Assists patients and other contacts whenever need occurs.
QualificationsRequired: - Education/Experience - Bachelors Degree in Medical Technology, Medical Laboratory Science, Clinical Laboratory Science, Chemistry, Biology, Genetics, Molecular Biology or other science degree qualifying the applicant to perform high complexity testing under 42 CFR Part 493 - Work Experience/License/Certification and Regulatory Agency - One year of work experience in a cytogenetics laboratory or - CG (ASCP) eligible or - CG (ASCP) certified
- Psychiatrist - Consult Liaison - Central DuPage Hospital - Winfield, IL Winfield, Illinois
- Phlebotomist-FLOAT - HealthLab, Full-time, Days (BS) Chicago, Illinois
- Physical Therapist Assistant - Marianjoy, Peds, 40 Hours/Week, Days Wheaton, Illinois
- Registry Occupational Therapist - Acute Rehabilitation/Wellness, Full-time, Days Chicago, Illinois
Recently Viewed Jobs
You do not have any recently viewed jobs